Betta jumped out of bowl!

Shawnie
My poor handsome boy, DID NOT like others in his tank..but I took a chance as some do get along with others...after a nite of him puffin, and just not likeing it a bit, I prepared him his own place...well while I was preparing, he jumped out of the bowl and onto the floor OMG OMG...his distance when I found him was about 5 feet...he was on the other side of the table... so he had to have jumped across the table, and then onto the floor for him to be where I found him He is now in his new home, with some stress coat...he is still alive....but I need something else to put in with him I'm sure....other than stress coat, what should I get today?!

Just when everyones tanks are all cycled, poor raffikI ..guilt guilt guilt...

capekate
g'morning Shawnie
Ohhh your poor lil guy. What a trip he took! out of the tank.. most likely sliding across the table to the floor! I don't know what else you should use in the tank, but I'm sure the stress coat will help him. Hopefully he has not suffered any damage and will be fine.

Allie
Been there done that. I thru Jasper across the room a little while ago. The net had a hole in it. Stress coat will help. He'll be fine.

Shawnie
g'morning Shawnie
Ohhh your poor lil guy. What a trip he took! out of the tank.. most likely sliding across the table to the floor! I don't know what else you should use in the tank, but I'm sure the stress coat will help him. Hopefully he has not suffered any damage and will be fine.

OMG hes alive still !!!!!! I thought all day long at work about him...and called home every hour just about......holy moly this guy wants to live! He was covered in dog hair and no color this morning...heres some pics of him now, minus some finnage tho ..his new home has a big skull in it and he seems to think he beat the odds..and I'm so hoping he does!!

Martinismommy
So happy he made it He's a very nice looking boy!

Shawnie
So happy he made it He's a very nice looking boy!

o thank u sooooooooooooo much..I'm so happy hes still here...is there anything I should do about his fins tho?? I'm still sitting beside him trying to do a fish

pamd
I think Dave would tell you to use VitaChem, Fish Protector or both if you can get a hold of them. I would have waited for Dave to post but since he's not on the board right now I'm going ahead in case it's the difference in you being able to get to the store before they close. I'm pretty sure this is what Dave would advise, and I know for sure that neither of these products are risky or would cause harm.

It sounds very probable that RaffikI will make it even if you can't get the products! It seems that if he had internal damage and weren't going to survive, he would have gone downhill from his colorless state and would not have colored up and be swimming. I'm certainly no fish vet, but that's how it seems.

Making it across the table like that shows how strong he is and recovering as much as he has shows how brave he is!

Shawnie
I think Dave would tell you to use VitaChem, Fish Protector or both if you can get a hold of them. I would have waited for Dave to post but since he's not on the board right now I'm going ahead in case it's the difference in you being able to get to the store before they close. I'm pretty sure this is what Dave would advise, and I know for sure that neither of these products are risky or would cause harm.

It sounds very probable that RaffikI will make it even if you can't get the products! It seems that if he had internal damage and weren't going to survive, he would have gone downhill from his colorless state and would not have colored up and be swimming. I'm certainly no fish vet, but that's how it seems.

Making it across the table like that shows how strong he is and recovering as much as he has shows how brave he is!

I CANT even begin to tell you his looks after that ordeal...not to mention the puppy was licking him...hes still doing well and just ate too..his fins are all that look worn...still saying my thanks to the up above guy!!...I'm going to pick up some vitachem tomorrow as I didnt get this post in time..but TY VERY MUCH...

chickadee
Vitachem and Fish Protector are both good ideas and some watching for possible fin problems. If he starts to look like his fins are thinning out then I would run for the Triple Sulfa or Maracyn Plus in a hurry. Triple Sulfa or TrI Sulfa is the best (I prefer the Triple Sulfa but the other will do) but Maracyn Plus is okay to use for fin problems. But the Vitachem or Fish Protector or both are necessities.

Rose

COBettaCouple
Yea, those are what I'd put in. I'd consider Fish Protector the top thing since it will help rebuild his slime coat, reduce stress and it helps with infections. I'd also get some Garlic Boost or some Garlic Guard each day to help lower the chances of infection.

bettakeeper
I was sitting next to my betta today with the tank lid on.Then I noticed Posiedon is tilted upwards so his head is near the surface of the water. After a few seconds he pushes himself upward enough so his heads comes out of the water. Is this how bettas jump?? I didn't train him or anything. What suprises me even more is that the tank lid was on. Any ideas on what happened?? thanks.

catman3
They like to jump. Ask anyone of the betta experts. In fact I can't belive I made it here first.

Akari_32
Yep, they're jumpers. Plutto will jump out and bite my fingers if I don't drop his food in fast enough XD

bettakeeper
Ya I do know they jump but when the tank lid is on??? and I didn't even train him.

Akari_32
Most don't need training. Who knows, he may have seen a bit of food on the hood or something. They're feisty little things lol

Betta/Horse lover
Sky jumps even if the lids on.Its normal!

bettakeeper
ok thanks AkarI and Betta/Horse

catman3
I think I might lower my water level so hina dosnt injur herself on the lid when she jumps.

mosaicguppy
Mine was aiming for food when he jumped, he didn't do that for long though. he was really hungry and impatient that time!

Tigerfishy
Triton, when he goes for air, really pushes himself out of the water and he's only getting a breath. He's maybe doing this, or trying to jump. It's unlikely to be a proper jump. If the head is only coming out of the water halfway, it's a breath, if the fish is propelled half the body out of the water, it's a jump.

Hope that helped

rmarkham
Hi!

So much for an uneventful morning..

I woke up and like every day turned on the betta fish tank lights and checked on them. I recently got a male king platat, who can be seen on this thread

I was looking in his tank and couldn't find him.. my first thought was wow, he must of really found a good sleeping spot... but then I thought. wait, what if he jumped out?!

I have the aqueon 5 gallon minI bow and there is a small space open in the back..

Well, I was right. I grabbed my flashlight and checked on the floor behind the tank.. and there he was.. not moving. I know these guys can go a long time without water so frantically grabbed him and he started flopping around like a crazy fish.. he was stuck to a piece of paper that had fallen behind my dresser... but he was MOVING!

I immediately threw him in the tank and let him remove himself on his own from the paper so I wouldn't tear his fins. He swam/fell down to the bottom of the tank and stayed there for a little while.
His fins look frayed at the ends and he's breathing heavily.. I taped saran wrap over the opening on the back, and will have to find something that is more permanent..

I can try to get pictures later but I have to leave for work in 20 min. I checked on him about 5 min after I put him back and he's already moving around although his fins look terrible.

I checked my water parameters after I put him back in his tank to make sure it wasn't something I did to him.
Ammonia : 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5-10ppm
pH: 6.6
Temp: 81 F

What should I do, and will he make it? I'm rather attached to him and when I check on him before bed I kept thinking how awesome he looks, and how the fin rot he had when I got him is all but gone! He also gobbled down some frozen blood worms like a champ last night.

Aquarist
Good morning,

Best wishes for your betta. Please keep us posted. I lost a couple of bettas over the years due to them taking flight. 50/50 chance of survival IMO.

Ken

waterfaller1
Oh dear. I do hope he makes it. Wishing you the best.

Magoo
Hello
I'm so sorry he jumped from his tank I have never had that problem.

He looks like a big strong fish so I am hopeful for him.
Keep an eye on him and I would do daily water changes with a conditioner that adds slime coat and keep a really close eye on his fins to check for infection.

Keep us posted and wish you both luck

rmarkham
Thank you everyone! I have the light off and have to run to work, and hopefully I'll get my plant delivery today so I can put more plants in/change water at the same time.

I'll do a water change when I get home, will adding a few drops of Vitachem help as well?
He's swimming around, but his fins still look so dry and frayed...

I wish I didn't have to go to work so I could babysit him, not that I could do much.. but still!

Magoo
Vitachem can't hurt I would soak his food in garlic juice too to boost his immune system

waterfaller1
Please let us know how he does. Can you pick up some API stress coat, or do you have any almond leaves on hand? The latter is used by those who do something terrible I will not speak of with Bettas. But it does work for healing and conditioning them.

rmarkham
I use prime but I also have stress coat and garlic juice (made by kent) on hand!

Lucy
Oh no! I'm so sorry!

Pristine water, vita-chem, garlic guard and extra stess coat should help.
You can also use fish protector. Just be aware you'll also need the stress coat with the water changes to condition the water.

Shawnie had a betta jump and licked by a puppy.
The above additions helped him heal.

Good luck!

Junne
Oh no! I hope he feels better soon! Glad you found him!!!

You could try Kordon fish protector - it has protective slime coat, added vitamin B12 and Echinacea and helps to heal missing scales and bruises. It also calms fish and eases stress.

rmarkham
His eyes appeared cloudy this morning, do you think this was because they were really dry for so long? Will it be permant? I'm at work for another hour so I won't be able to check on him until 4ish when I get home..

I'll try to get some pictures at that point.

AquariaUK
Sorry to hear about the betta

Keep an eye on him, I advise Prime, or as every has already said, garlic juice

Hope he lives

rmarkham
I had my BF add a splash of stress coat during the day, and I added Vita-chem just now.. I will be doing a water change with prime later on... but right now.. he looks terrible.

It's heart breaking..

Here's a video because I suck at taking pictures.. apparently he's been like this for a while.

There's a whiteish spot that looks black in the video because I had to use the camera light..

thoughts? I'm so upset right now

Magoo
He has had quite a traumatic adventure and will need time to get over it.
Keep up with water changes and adding prime or stress coat and soak his food in garlic too.

What temperature is his tank? If its 80 or below maybe raise the temperature gradually to 82-84 as bettas prefer the warmer temperatures and might perk him up a bit

You have and are doing all the right things unfortunately bettas can be very quirky and accidents happen I went through it with Malcolm pretty much everything with Malcolm apart from tank jumping.
I've got my fingers crossed for him I've seen bettas in worse condition make full recoveries

hssea
I sure hope he will be okay. Never had a betta jump out, but did have a clown loach jump out from the back opening

waterfaller1
I am so sorry. Sending positive energy that he will be ok! Come on pretty guy, you have to be strong!I think the fact that he is still hanging is good. Keep thinking positive thoughts.

angelou
my favorite betta did that to me once- he lived. Just step up the water changes so his water is perfect for the next week or two and hopefully he will make a full recovery. Poor guy!

Eienna
Stress Guard/Kordon Fish Protector, plus Vitachem and water changes...
Poor boy looks awful!! Hopefully he'll be OK. :'(

rmarkham
I just did a 50% water change, and will do it again either tomorrow morning (if I get up early enough) or as soon as I get home after work tomorrow...

He looks stiff.. and his fins are still stuck together, especially his top fin. When he swims his movements seem more robotic than fluid and natural. His face which was once the color of his body is now very white and he is constantly breathing heavily. I added vita-chem to the water.

The temp is 81 degrees right now.

angelou
poor guy. I wonder how long he was out. I hope he makes it!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Momgoose56
  • Question
Replies
Views
Fisheye
Replies
Views
VenomousTiger
Replies