Betta issues

kattiq

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I bought a opal betta on ebay.. When I got the betta today they also included another betta labled "free" that looked similar but wasn't as pretty. So I'm sure they included this "free" betta just to get rid of it. Anyways, the betta I bought looks great, but the other one I think might have a touch of swim blatter + something else?
I quickly set up my quarantine tank, I have a seeded sponge filter and a heater (80F).
Aside from him swimming odd- swimming to the top and sinking back down, I also just noticed a red dot on his eye(looks more red in person) and also part of his back fin seems to be missing/damaged. I'm trying to not be mad at the seller for adding this extra "burden" onto me, but lets just say I will be sending them a nice email soon.

In the video below the water looks murky (new substrate and I didn't strain out the water when adding it.). Sometimes he swims around pretty erratically and other times he just rests at the bottom with his top have angled upward.

I've got aquarium salt, and general cure on hand. I also lowered the water level in the 10g tank as well. I am just wondering how to treat this? I've never really had a fish that's needed medicine so I have 0% clue on really where to start. I would have posted the emergency template but I just got this fish a few hours ago. So I'm thinking most of it is from the stress of travel?
IMG_2429.JPG
IMG_2433.jpg
IMG_2434.jpg

OP
kattiq

kattiq

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
FreshwaterHG said:
I’m glad your equip to handle him! I would do frequent small water changes and just use some aquarium salt or Indian almond leaves. Doesn’t look like anything some TLC can’t take care of. Frozen daphina will help with the swim bladder issues as well as a high quality food.
Okay thank you! I wasn't sure if I needed to use both or what to do. I at first was going to turn him into my LFS for them to sell but with all his little issues I figured I would just keep him and figure it out later. I didn't want to give them a sick fish to deal with too.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
kattiq said:
Okay thank you! I wasn't sure if I needed to use both or what to do. I at first was going to turn him into my LFS for them to sell but with all his little issues I figured I would just keep him and figure it out later. I didn't want to give them a sick fish to deal with too.
That’s awesome! If you were willing to ship him, I’m sure you could find someone on here to take him. Wouldn’t cost you anything (normally buyer pays shipping costs) and he wouldn’t have to sit in a pet store. I would love a white betta myself but I just have to many haha.

OP
kattiq

kattiq

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
FreshwaterHG said:
That’s awesome! If you were willing to ship him, I’m sure you could find someone on here to take him. Wouldn’t cost you anything (normally buyer pays shipping costs) and he wouldn’t have to sit in a pet store. I would love a white betta myself but I just have to many haha.
I might just do that eventually. I was going to keep the box he came in just in case I ended up doing that. But my LFS really doesn’t keep their stock for long either. I’ve never shipped a fish before so I’d need to look into it more if I ended up choosing that route.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
kattiq said:
I might just do that eventually. I was going to keep the box he came in just in case I ended up doing that. But my LFS really doesn’t keep their stock for long either. I’ve never shipped a fish before so I’d need to look into it more if I ended up choosing that route.
Sounds awesome. Just out of curiosity, you don’t happen to be on the west coast do you? Might have a tank open soon... I’m a sucker for white betta :rolleyes:

OP
kattiq

kattiq

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
FreshwaterHG said:
Sounds awesome. Just out of curiosity, you don’t happen to be on the west coast do you? Might have a tank open soon... I’m a sucker for white betta :rolleyes:
I don’t, but the seller I got it from shipped from Anaheim, CA. But it arrived pretty quickly and they sent it to me with only $14 shipping.
Aside from maybe the affects of probably shipping stress he really is pretty and relatively active. So if you were interested I would definitely only send for shipping costs since he was free for me. :)

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
kattiq said:
I don’t, but the seller I got it from shipped from Anaheim, CA. But it arrived pretty quickly and they sent it to me with only $14 shipping.
Aside from maybe the affects of probably shipping stress he really is pretty and relatively active. So if you were interested I would definitely only send for shipping costs since he was free for me. :)
Ok, well maybe I’ll send you a pm. Like you said, it wouldn’t be now, but just a thought...

OP
kattiq

kattiq

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
FreshwaterHG said:
Ok, well maybe I’ll send you a pm. Like you said, it wouldn’t be now, but just a thought...
Definitely! No pressure but I would be interested when he recovers :)

OP
kattiq

kattiq

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Alright friends, my little buddy isn’t really improving. I dosed with aquarium salt first and then also ended up using general cure (added that yesterday) I also upped the temp to around 80ish and I have made the tank mostly dark in my guest room that has no activity unless I walk in to check on him.
He still lays at the bottom of the tank and then sometimes swims erratically. I also just tried to feed him 2 different foods and he was completely disinterested. I only tried cause he’s SO skinny. I have also noticed his fins have clamped down some more. Thanks for any advice.
5718F0B4-2E75-4BC8-8CFA-9F2A20EDCACD.jpeg
3F2C2C17-1A3B-4ADC-85A7-E9B23AD63ED6.jpeg

New Threads