betta issue

maggie

Valued Member
Reaction score
my betta keeps spitting out his food. he doesn't look sick at all and hes active so I'm not sure what the problem is. i saw him spit up what i thought was some partially digested food after i tried to feed him a pellet. he took in the pellet spit it out and about a min later spit up the "partially digested food". maybe hes got something stuck in is throat? if that is even possible. any suggestions?

Sparkling Diamonds

Valued Member
Reaction score
What kind of food are you feeding him? Bettas have tiny mouths and a lot of the time, the pellets are too big. :-\

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
he could be finicky.. many Bettas are. Try bloodworms, daphnia or TINY bits of a frozen, thawed pea with the skin removed. (3 or 4 tiny pieces at the most).

maggie

Valued Member
Reaction score
ok sounds good, i'll try giving him some different food then. say he does eat the blood worms or peas, then should that be his main diet? or should i try to switch back to betta pellets?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
maggie said:
ok sounds good, i'll try giving him some different food then. say he does eat the blood worms or peas, then should that be his main diet? or should i try to switch back to betta pellets?
If he won't eat anything else, blood worms, daphnia and peas could be a diet in a sort of rotation.

If you want to, I'd try other betta foods on him at times to try to get them to be accepted, perhaps with a little garlic juice on them but they can be pretty stubborn and you might have to fast him for a few days to get him to accept other foods. some are so stubborn that doesn't work either. Your call on that - Sora (our 1st finicky betta went days and still wouldn't even look at anything but those 3 foods.) Funny how he LOVES strawberries though.. they are characters, these little Bettas.

maggie

Valued Member
Reaction score
i got some blood worms today and sure enough he went to town on them lol. i like your suggestions, i think i'm gonna try the strawberries next thanx again for your help.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
maggie said:
i got some blood worms today and sure enough he went to town on them lol. i like your suggestions, i think i'm gonna try the strawberries next thanx again for your help.
yw. he should go to town on pea bits too.. and all our bettas love cantaloupe, we just have to get them soft, soft tiny bits for their little teeth.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom