Betta Is Lethargic And Pale Help | Page 3

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Janelie, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Janelie New Member Member

Will do, thank you so much!

Okay, I will try that. How much water would you recommend to change? She is currently in a 10-gallon tank.

Also: would you recommend storebought Betta water? I saw it in Petco today and I was considering purchasing it, but I wanted to do some research first.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2019
  2. Frankieflowaz Valued Member Member

It's cheaper to just use seachem prime dose it right and its alot cheaper then buying bottled water

3. Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

5 gallons.

Do not buy betta water, it's just pre-conditioned tap water...

4. Janelie New Member Member

Alright, makes sense. Thanks!

Will the water changes stress her out more?

5. Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

If the water is approximately the same temperature then no.

Clean water is the best medicine.

6. Do0kski Valued Member Member

It really depends on how much nitrites you have in the take at the time your changing the water. I'd say if you have .25ppm do 25% and .50ppm do 50%. Unfortunately we need it to achieve nitrites. The betta water you find in stores is good water for your betta. It's basically R/O water with all the elements added back to it. For now, it wouldn't be a bad idea due to its current condition.

7. Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Or they could just do 50% water changes consistently.

They do not need to buy bottled water for their betta if they have a water conditioner. It is a huge waste of money pushed by big chain store employees.

8. Do0kski Valued Member Member

Sure.

9. Janelie New Member Member

I will keep all this in mind. She currently rests at the top corner of her tank, occasionally swimming around the tank if I approach it. I gave her a few pellets throughout the day and she ate most of them. I also turned off the lights so she could properly rest. Thank you all so much for your help! You have no idea how much I appreciate the advice. I will update you again tomorrow. :)

10. Noroomforshoe Valued Member Member

Aquariums do not need to be "that clean" They need to buil bacteria, the need to stabalize. Fish Hate change!, Filters and filter cartridges need to cycle!
    You filter cartridge dosnt need changing unless it is falling to peices. You can rub,rinse it in used tank water or dechlorinated tap water. Dechlorinaters work instantly FYI, It should not need rinsing more then every other month. Your filter only needs a full cleaning maybey 2 times at the very most. The plants can be cleaned as needed, I would not clean more then one plant a week.
    If your tank is too small to use a gravel vaccum, remove ALL of the gravel!
    Get a digital thermometer. the temurature in the tank should read 78, 79, 80, 81, or 82, and it should not change from day to night or with the seasons aquarium heaters shut themselves off when the desired tempurature is reached. it wont boil your fish. If you think you can set up a 10 gallon, get a proper adjustable heater for it, the betta can wait for the heater.
    the best option to clean up the tank is hot water. You can use non iodized salt, plain vinigar, and a LOT more hot whater to rinse. You can use a one part bleach to 10 parts water solution. It is safe if you rinse it a lot, if you do not soak for longer then 15 minutes, and if you let it dry for 48 24 hours, and add dechlorinator.to the new water. It is rarelly necassary to use it though.

FYI, I am also guilty of try to keep a betta in the wrong conditions when i was young. Im glad you are trying!

11. Janelie New Member Member

Thank you so much for the information, I appreciate it!

UPDATE: I left the tank light off to let her rest. Last night, I found something sticking out from her bottom area, it was very odd. I wasn't able to get a photo of it, but I'm hoping it was left over food. I tried to get her to move to see if she could shake it off herself and after a couple of tries it worked.
    Here is a photo of her "resting spot" on top of the tank:
    IMG_3333.JPG

I noticed that she feels "safe" in that spot. She would float away from it and then hurry back to the same corner. Also, I think the thing that was sticking out of her bottom area might have been poop? Let me know what you guys think. Thank you again for your help!

12. Evee Valued Member Member

Bettas tend to chill in one spot that they feel comfortable, but they should be swimming around and going up to get air, so just keep an eye on her. She looks like the color is coming back, which is a good sign. :)

13. Janelie New Member Member

UPDATE: Bertram seems to be doing well!! Turning the tank light off must have really helped! I turned it on to examine her and feed her. She didn't eat with the light on, so I turned it off and she was so alive! I noticed that she is still a little pale, so I will continue to update until I see that she is fully recovered. Thanks!!

14. Emily.mm New Member Member

Is the thing still there? If it doesn’t go away, it may be a prolapse (I can’t tell from the picture). My betta had one when I first got him. If it doesn’t resolve itself you may need to treat it (I treated with an epsom salt dip).

Also, if it was a white stringy poop, that could be a sign of an infection. Keep an eye on her and see how she progresses.

15. KellyLvLady New Member Member

Stop cleaning everythng! Never replace your cartridge unless its falling apart. To get the slime and gunk off you first siphon your tank 25% once a week, and wash the filter/cartridge in the dirty tank water. Just use your hand and clean it off in the water. if you use tap water as in running it under the faucet you are killing beneficial bacteria and never cycling your aquarium.
    My set up: 10 gallon, 15 gallon corner sponge filter, remember Bettas do not like a heavy flow. adjustable heater (80), terra cotta pots for hiding & plants. This photo was in January. My plants have really taken off since.

Attached Files:

16. Janelie New Member Member

It was a brown, short "string". At first, I thought it was a food pellet (that's how small it was). It came off after I got her to wiggle around, but I will definitely keep this in consideration. Thank you!

17. Janelie New Member Member

Which sponge filter do you have?? Over the summer I tried putting a **CLEAN** sponge on top of the filter to try to ease the flow but it barely worked. Also, I love your set up! Can you tell me the products you used to make it that way?

18. Janelie New Member Member

Hi, everyone! Update on Bertram: she's doing very well! She is gaining back her color, but she's just a bit dull and unhealthy looking. She is swimming around a lot more, too. My only concern is her paleness; what can I do to bring back her vibrant color? Here's a photo: IMG_3796.JPG

19. Emily.mm New Member Member

What are you feeding her? You could maybe look into improving her diet, or using some colour-enhancing food. I feed my betta Fluval BugBites and find them really good (high in protein, which is what bettas need). I’ve no experience with colour-enhancing food but I’m sure you could find some info on here pretty easily!

20. Janelie New Member Member

I will look into it! Thank you!