Betta is lathargic, clamped, and labored gill movement

Pandurs

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 3 gal.
How long has the tank been running? 6 months
Does it have a filter? Yes, a homemade sponge filter with activated carbon and zeolite crystals.
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 80.8
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 female betta and 3 mini marimo moss balls.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Every week.
How much of the water do you change? 25-50% depending on how the debris.
What do you use to treat your water? Prime. Stress coat. Stability or Quick Start. Ken's Zoa.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes.
What do you use to test the water? API freshwater master kit.
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: less than 5.0 greater than 0
pH: 8.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Every day with one fasting day.
How much do you feed your fish? A few shakes of Fluval bug bites, or 5 pellets, or a pinch of dried daphnia or frozen daphnia or brine shrimp, and every week a few bloodworms.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Fluval bug bites, Hikari pellets, frozen and dried daphnia and bloodworms, San Francisco Bay frozen brine shrimp.
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Both

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? About three months.
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Noticed mild symptoms yesterday.
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Lathargic, hiding, heavy breathing, clamped fins.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? I've added a pice of IAL the size of 2 fingers.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Dull coloring, clamped fins, not active except for needing air.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
As stated above, my girl Naydra who used to be a little spitfire, isn't feeling so hot. She's hardly active, hiding where I can't find her except to come up for air. She used to hang out at the glass and then patrol the rest of her tank. Her gills are working hard too. I last fed her six hours ago with her usual few shakes of bug bites. Yesterday she had started to just rest more than usual, and I guess it's escalated to this. Saturday is when I feed the frozen foods like bloodworms, daphnia, and brine shrimp... While feeding on daphnia, she did a sort of shake with her head, like she ate something tart, and when I looked in on her and saw this she did the same kind of tweak but not as much. She also may have gotten overfed with bloodworms on Saturday too. I don't want to move her ornaments because they make her feel safe. I have attached a photo and and that I was able to grab. I will be forever thankful to any help anyone can give. The meds that I have at my disposal is as follows:
Epsom salt
Aquarium salt
Betta fix
Kanaplex
Prazipro
Api general cure
Indian Almond Leaves whole pieces and extract (fritz's Dark Water)
Microb-lift Herbtana
Maracyn Oxy

Attachments

Best Answer - View Pandurs's answer
OP
Pandurs

Pandurs

OK, so after one night, she still hasn't improved and has potentially gotten worse. I'm wondering if it's due to the frozen daphnia maybe going bad because the freezer door was left open and it thawed and refroze, causing bacteria to maybe grow? One of my girls a few months back started to behave the same way after being fed daphnia that started to thaw by the time i had it shipped to me.

OP
Pandurs

Pandurs

Slight update, she's swimming around a little more, though she showed no signs of wanting to eat the little granules of dried daphnia I dropped in. I checked for signs of ick or velvet but couldn't find any. I've added another small piece of IAL.
Ammonia is still 0
Nitrates have come to a 5
Nitrites are 0
pH is still 8.0

OP
Pandurs

Pandurs

A few moments ago she just flashed... coupled with the fact that her head was doing little spasms and her gills are labored, could this be flukes?

OP
Pandurs

Pandurs

Another update. I've medicated with .51 grams of API General Cure because I suspected parasites. Not gonna lie I'm trying not to panic. Her gasping has became the same as last night and she's taken to hiding in the darkest part of her tank by the heater. Its like she doesn't want to touch anything and kinda twitches if her fins touch any of her silk plants. I was able to feed her a few bug bites and three soaked pellets earlier just so she can have energy. Can anyone who has used api general cure for parasites tell me if their fish got worse before they got better because mine is making me worry...

OP
Pandurs

Pandurs

FishBuddha said:
Maybe tank temp too high? Bettas like temps 74 - 79 F.
Bettas are fine in temps from 79-82. It's when the temperature climbs to 84-86 that its a danger and this is not the reaction. They usually are restless because the water would be so hot if that were the case.

Doom

Hello,

Try to lower your pH, more it's neutral the better it is.

Add tannins( A lot of IAL leaves not just a little bit ) it's a lot of benefits for him and the water(Ph, alkalinity)

Add tourmaline balls ( It will give him some good minerals )

Aquarium salt is for a max of 2 weeks.

Stop meds. You've used too much.

Replace your activated carbon and your filter media if it's not already done. <

Vacuum and clean your tank once a week.

Have a good day and stay positive;)

Doom

He'd also probably like more live plants, instead of sharp plastic and maybe metal edges that you didn't see in your decorations. I use natural decorations in my aquarium like IAL and live plants (they're nice to look at the growing and they are good for the water), or plastic but without any sharp edges.

OP
Pandurs

Pandurs

Doom said:
Hello,

Try to lower your pH, more it's neutral the better it is.

Add tannins( A lot of IAL leaves not just a little bit ) it's a lot of benefits for him and the water(Ph, alkalinity)

Add tourmaline balls ( It will give him some good minerals )

Aquarium salt is for a max of 2 weeks.

Stop meds. You've used too much.

Replace your activated carbon and your filter media if it's not already done. <

Vacuum and clean your tank once a week.

Have a good day and stay positive;)
Doom said:
He'd also probably like more live plants, instead of sharp plastic and maybe metal edges that you didn't see in your decorations. I use natural decorations in my aquarium like IAL and live plants (they're nice to look at the growing and they are good for the water), or plastic but without any sharp edges.
While I appreciate the run down of basic fish care and what is preferred but not mandatory, the medication did in fact work. She has parasites. Tourmaline balls and pH vigilance isn't going to rid her of flukes. Her reaction turns out, was from shock. By letting her rest in a dark tank and an extra almond leaf piece, she is much better, not cured, but much better. What I was asking was if her reaction was due to too much of the medication, not to be man-splaned tank maintenance or if her decor needed to be overhauled.

The time you took was appreciated, though perhaps it would better serve someone in need of the basics of fish keeping.

Doom

Oh, I thought you said your fish had clamped fins, labored gills movement, and was lethargic sorry for the misunderstanding. If you add what I told you, he'll heal quick that's it. Probably the fact that he is soaking in 10 differents medical residue doesn't help, that's why you use activated carbon and replace it regularly after treatment of medication.

New Threads