Betta is flaring all the time. I can't seem to figure out why.

Chummus

Since I got my betta he has been flaring at his reflection constantly. The only way I can get him to stop is by draping a sheet all the way over the tank to block out all the light. I've tried to put cardstock on the sides of the tank, dimming the tank lights and turning them off, and putting Indian almond leaves in to tint the water. Nothing has worked and my betta is really stressing himself out. And I can't even see him without him flaring and chasing his reflection against the sides of the tank. My tank is relatively cheap and I'm starting to wonder if maybe the glass is just low quality. I really don't know but I feel like I've tried everything. What should my next steps be? I can attach videos or pictures if needed but with the lights so low it is hard to see what is going on through the camera.

mrsP

Could you take couple of pictures of your tank to post here? That might give us a starting point.

Upvote 0

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

I think if it was me I would take him back to the fish shop and try a different fish. Not what you want to do I know but sometimes it's for the best. Hope you can resolve it.

Upvote 0

Chummus

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• bfish3.jpg
    bfish3.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 20
  • bfish2.jpg
    bfish2.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 20
  • bfish1.jpg
    bfish1.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

SDCAOFK

May I ask how large your tank is? I trust that your tank is cycled? If it were me, I would add some live plants to the tank; your fish would appreciate them. Also, perhaps, depending on the size of the tank, you could add some dither fish, ember tetras perhaps since they don't get overly big?
And, is it possible for you to get a larger aquarium? I have found that the larger the aquarium, the less time that the fish spends near the glass and flaring at himself.

Just my two cents.

Upvote 0

FishareFriends6

Your tank size is fine but boredom may kick in from time to time for him. I noticed that you used white vinyl on the sides of the tank rather than black. This may cause a lighter reflection, causing him to think he sees another male.
-
Flaring is also good for them, it will boost their confidence so it is good practise to actually let them see a reflection in the mirror or another male from time to time too.
-
It is only a problem if their fins start to split due to over flaring or it causes them too much stress from over doing it.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
bettamom327
  • Question
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views