Betta is fighting with the Mystery Snail over Spinach

OhioFishKeeper

My Betta used to ignore the Mystery Snail, but now he seems to be harassing it. He spends a lot of time looking at it up close. Today I watched him in a tug of war over the blanched spinach the snail was munching on. He pulled a piece lose and then spit it out.

If I had a quarantine tank, I'd give this betta a time out. I'm not sure at what point I need to consider taking the snail back to the LFS. He doesn't seem to be biting at the snail itself, but if it comes to that it might be too late by the time I realize it. This betta seems to be getting healthier and more comfortable everyday...colors are getting brighter and he's very interactive.

PXL_20220419_170027230.jpg

FoldedCheese

Yeah bettas are known to be aggressive and will sometimes just "snap" after being "fine" for a while. Imo your options are to take it back the lfs or put the snail in another tank if you have one. Also, time outs don't really work.. fish brains aren't sophisticated enough to comprehend what a punishment is and he would go right back to harassing the snail.

Rose of Sharon

He is quite beautiful (love those colors!), and sounds like he is maturing fast, too! The thing about mystery snails is that they have those fleshy antenna, and a fiesty betta could make a quick meal out of those. Better to try a nerite snail, I think...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Feohw
Replies
Views
heeerefishyfishy
Replies
Views
Shahbazin
Replies
Views