Betta is eating mystery snail food

grapebats

hi! i’m brand new to this site and i have a question to ask. a little over a week ago i got a new betta and everything has been great there, but the other day i decided to get a couple of mystery snails to go in his tank and help keep it cleaner. i put in part of an algae wafer for them today and my betta has been eating it. i think the snails may have gotten some of it, but i’m not certain. my question: is it okay to remove the snails from the tank for feeding a couple of times per week so that the betta doesn’t eat their food? i worry about the snails not getting enough and about the fish getting sick from overeating. or, alternatively, would it be okay to remove the fish during snail feeding? i would prefer not to as i don’t want to stress him out too much, but if it’s something he can get used to i wouldn’t mind doing it. i want to put a stop to it early somehow, so any and all suggestions are welcome. i tried to consult google but i didn’t really find exactly what i was looking for

BigManAquatics

Maybe could put the snails in a breeder box or net or something for the algae wafers. Bettas can definitely be food hogs. My bettas never really pay much mind to the algae wafers. But that might be because most of my snails really don't either

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

I wouldn't be too worried about the snails not getting enough - you'd be surprised at what they'll find in the tank. Bettas will definitely overeat, though, so a breeder net like suggested above would be awesome.

Upvote 0

darkcat

My betta likes to eat my Cory's food. Since I don't want my betta to get bloated and since I don't want my cory to starve, I use the breeding box. I put my betta in the breeding box until the cories are done eating. I know that their not shrimps but I think it's the same problem.

Upvote 0

grapebats

thank you guys!! i’ll definitely try using a breeder box

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
InsanityShard
  • Question
Replies
Views
GingerV513