Betta Is Eating My Ghost Shrimp! Help!!!!

raptorfishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The other day I got 3 ghost shrimp for my 2.5 gal betta tank and within the first couple hours my betta killed two of them. the first one I thought maybe the shrimp was dying or something and then he chased and killed another one so I tried taking him out and moving the decorations around and that worked for a while and then I just decided to put in a divider just to be safe. Any suggestions?

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not much you can do if your betta decides shrimp are food or are in his territory

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don't put more shrimp in there.
You have tested your betta, most can't live with anything without some issue popping up, you have learned your betta is a hunter.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rehome the shrimp. Return the shrimp to the store, find another tank owner to give him to, or put him in another tank.

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Buy a new 2.5 gal and start a new colony, at least that's what I would want to do!

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sometimes you can have shrimp and betta together but doesnt always workout sadly. you can rehome the shrimp, get another tank for him or wait for the betta to eat it

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you wanted to have shrimp in there they should have gone in before the Betta did. Now he has established the small tank as his territory and will probably attack anything living that goes in it.

raptorfishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok I moved the shrimp out because when I took out the divider the betta started chasing it almost instantly. Im going to call my friend to see if he wants it. Thanks everyone

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Your tank is too small most importantly. Can’t really have anything with a betta fish in anything less than a 10 gallon. Can sometimes get away with a snail in a 5 gallon, but there’s just not enough room in a 2.5 gallon for the betta to feel comfortable owning his territory.

raptorfishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BReefer97 said:
Your tank is too small most importantly. Can’t really have anything with a betta fish in anything less than a 10 gallon. Can sometimes get away with a snail in a 5 gallon, but there’s just not enough room in a 2.5 gallon for the betta to feel comfortable owning his territory.
Im hoping to get a bigger tank at some point....

fishaholic87

Valued Member
Reaction score
And he could be stress while beggars can live in small tanks 5 is really the minemum and lots of Berta people argue 10 is the smallest size also while betrays can live in colder water they really need to be on the lower end of a heater instead of rook temp

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom