Betta Is Dying

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by WinterSoldier., Apr 17, 2019.

1. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

My favorite veiltail betta is dying. I think he has some kind of growth. He is completely pale, and almost grey. He used to be bright purple blue and red. Its not the water. Ammonia .0 Nitrite 0.0 Nitrate .5 Hardness very hard. The water is alklain but not sure if thats effecting him. He lives in a heated filtered 10 gallon tank. It has a divider and the betta on the other side is doing fantastic. So are the mystery snails. Should I euthanize him? He sits at the top by the filter all day and doesn't seem interested in food.

2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

How old is he?

3. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

Have you checked the temperature of the water?
    I'd love some photos to help us diagnose him.
    If he has a bacterial infection then the other betta could be at risk, even if they are fairly new.
    Generally old bettas don't seem to have growths or turn gray, they just gradually slow down and it's sorta tell tale, but they're still interested in food as old age doesn't mean sick or dying quite yet.
    Definitely get back woth some photos, and maybe do a 1-2 gallon water change.

Has anything new been added to the tank? Fish, plants or anything?

4. BettaishValued MemberMember

How long has he displayed these symptoms? It could be that kind of time, but generally older fish age slower as said above.

5. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

The Temperature is 79-80 F. I'll post photos Nothing new has been added. Like I said, Jarvis the other betta is fine

About 2 weeks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2019
  6. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

7. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I thought for sure I replied but I guess not, do you have a photo of him?

8. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

I’d need pictures too. Usually when I feel a fish is beyond hope or I know I don’t have the meds they need at hand I’ll euthanize.

9. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

I need a photo too to get an idea, it could be graphite columnaris too. It can turn a betta grey and spread super fast. But once again a photo is the only way to go.

10. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember