Betta is dying... what's going on? Help

1. escapay Well Known Member Member

I'm tired of issues with my 10 gallon aquarium...

My current question is - why would a fish have his chin extended? See picture for what I mean...

close_up_chinissue.JPG

My betta just started to show this extended chin the other day (I'm pretty sure yesterday soon after I fed him). I think he may have spit up one of the pellets as well. Today he won't even eat and one of the recommendations given from my LFS was to start feeding him more than 3 times a week. I can't do that if he won't/can't eat. Poor fishy. :(

Also, he is now staying at the bottom of the aquarium and moves only to gasp for air or to move more under his driftwood "cave" (which really is just the back of it where it goes in slightly).

I plan on buying a breeder's net tomorrow, but currently he is in that cup from the picture floating in the tank. I don't want him to drown if he can't get to the surface in time.

Water parameters as of yesterday before I did a water change (did another change today as well) came back with pH finally coming up from 5.5 to 6.4**. Ammonia is back in a small quanity (I think it was .25ppm), there are no nitrites, and was nitrates (not sure exactly since they used a test strip for that part -- not the pH or ammonia though). Also, KH is around 40. From the test strips, I've seen it even go up to 80.

The tank has been up and running since June 2011. It is a planted aquarium. Also, I do water changes (25%) on a weekly basis but will start attempting them two or three times a week.

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

He's really small. I bet he's got a piece of food stuck in there...

3. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Does it look lighter or white at all? I doubt its food, most if not all betta pellets would have broken down by now. Sounds more like a tumor or cyst. Both are bad. Also seem to be increasingly common in our bettas. I just lost a CT to something similar, and then one of the breeders lost 2 fish, then we had 2 other people make comments about their fish doing the same.

[​IMG]
    His cyst burst a few times, it looked like this afterwards.

4. escapay Well Known Member Member

It is whitish-pink. Similar on the other one that died.

5. Reefdweller Well Known Member Member

I recently lost a beta to a odd disease that I had never seen before. His head turned white in the beginning and right before he died his whole body looked white and I still have not put my finger on that one. I posted it on here as well and no one knew what it was. The is a small tank and is my daughters. We got her another one and I swear something is wrong with him and has been since day one. (my wife bought him at walmart which is a no no but she was short on time that day) He just doesn't look good, he doesn't eat, he has ich that I am treating now. He stays at one side of the tank all the time and I have never seen him eat a bite. I also wonder if he can see good.. almost as if he is blind. All the parameters are good, water changes are done. All the other fish in the tank are very healthy and active. To be honest I may make this my last beta because I just seem to have problem after problem out of them. I do have one in a little tank and he does very well and is a very pretty fish - outside of that if something happens to the sick one I mentioned. I am done with buying any more betas. Especially for my daughter because she is only 6 and gets upset when one dies...

6. escapay Well Known Member Member

The sad thing is I had both of these bettas since March 2010 when I purchased them at Petco. They've been with me that long. I didn't see any issues with them until this year.

I was going to give him a salt bath last night, but that didn't happen since the aquarium salt had not dissolved by the time I had to sleep. :/ (This being in a bigger bucket, not his tank... it was from the tank water I removed with tupperware)

I still need to figure out what this is. Whatever happened, it worsened the condition and he did not survive. :(

RIP poor betta

I'll call the fish store today and see if they could possibly identify something if I took him in. They aren't open for a few more hours though.