Betta Is Acting Strange

Kennedy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have only had a betta for a month, and he is giving me a run for my money. He is a marble half-moon and he is white with some blue scales and this makes it super hard to tell if he is sick because he can't really lose colour when he doesn't have much, and with him being white, I can't tell if he has white spots.

The reason I keep checking for white spots is because he acts SUPER weird all the time. He rubs against the glass and he rubs against his plant. He'll be swimming normally and then just starts zooming around the tank in almost zig zags. Then he'll pause and it looks like he is breathing heavily, his gills keep opening and closing really fast, and then he does it all over again.

I think he can see his reflection too much, which is why he always has his fins flared. I was thinking about getting some more plants and lining them along the corners because I don't want him to be stressed, but I'm still super confused about the possible rubbing? I've shone a flashlight on him and he does not have velvet, nor do I see any white spots on the places he DOES have some colour, so I don't know what to do.

Also, how long does it take for a tank to cycle? Because I do water changes every other day, started dosing with prime about a week ago, and ammonia still stays at 0.25 ppm (I can't do TSS+ as I live in Canada and it is not offered where I am).

- A very frustrated betta owner

DillonPhoenix

Reaction score
This is the reason I've always avoided white bettas as I'm scared of getting invisible ich (white spot)

In regards to his behavior bettas sometimes act weird for no apparent reason, especially in the first few months after getting them. Mine still swim erratically on occasion and seem to jerk around a bit but then their right back to acting normal again, however If it's happening constantly then it does sound like it could be white spot.

Tanks can take months to cycle if you are keeping the Ammonia and Nitrite levels low through water changes, is there any way you could order TSS on Ebay or Amazon as it would really help speed it up!

JadeMau

Reaction score
If by "white spots" you mean ich, it's my understanding that they're not just spots but, rather, as if the fish us covered in salt granules. I don't have personal experience with it though, thank goodness *knock on wood*, so I would wait for someone with personal knowledge, but yeah. As far as most fungus it would appear fuzzy, usually, I believe (besides velvet, which you obviously know how to look for). I know the pain of being the owner of a betta whose color makes it difficult to tell if something is wrong with him. My Archer is mostly red with some gradiated/mottled white, I mean, he looks like a strawberry. So he has certain patterning that's like, "Is that you, or...?" XD;

OP
Kennedy

Kennedy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DillonPhoenix said:
This is the reason I've always avoided white bettas as I'm scared of getting invisible ich (white spot)

In regards to his behavior bettas sometimes act weird for no apparent reason, especially in the first few months after getting them. Mine still swim erratically on occasion and seem to jerk around a bit but then their right back to acting normal again, however If it's happening constantly then it does sound like it could be white spot.

Tanks can take months to cycle if you are keeping the Ammonia and Nitrite levels low through water changes, is there any way you could order TSS on Ebay or Amazon as it would really help speed it up!
He doesn't do it constantly, but I just see some of my friend's bettas and their always so lax. Then there's mine that goes all over the place and does really strange things. He seems crazy lol. I've seen him rest in his plant, but I moved it a little bit and he started really swimming around in them back and forth. I wasn't sure if that was him almost playing, or itching.

OP
Kennedy

Kennedy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Iverg1 said:
Can we see pics please?
Just a pic of my fish? He is almost fluorescent. He has enough areas that are not light that you'd think you would see white spots..

Attachments

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I do not see any Ich or Velvet on him. You should try adding decorations or plants around the edges of his tank if there is a reflection and see if he calms down then.

DillonPhoenix

Reaction score
Kennedy said:
Just a pic of my fish? He is almost fluorescent. He has enough areas that are not light that you'd think you would see white spots..
Maybe it's the pic but he looks mainly blue to me and I'm not seeing any signs of white spots on him!

JadeMau

Reaction score
Bettas are weird, well, mine is, anyways, I never know if it's just me, though, because all my family's pets have/develop BIG personalities (because we, ourselves, are very strange, lol). XD
Archer likes to wedge himself so that he can be vertically upside down as of late. He also loves tv, and gets made when it's not on or it's paused.
I was going to wonder if something was going on if he was constantly flared, but I think a more recent post indicated that was a slight exaggeration, lol. I can't comment on that much, because my guy is not very aggressive, he's excitable, but doesn't flare for it. He's only flared from excitement once and it was for like half a second over food. The only other time I've seen him flare period was when he was fed up with me fussing over him, it was only a tad longer than the first time, and it was not aggressive so much as "Mom stop worryimg, I'll be fine, let me watch TV in peace or feed me!" XD

OP
Kennedy

Kennedy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Repolie said:
I do not see any Ich or Velvet on him. You should try adding decorations or plants around the edges of his tank if there is a reflection and see if he calms down then.
I'll definitely try that, but then I have another question...if the tank is still cycling, will I mess that up by added new plants? Everything else should have some bacteria on it by now

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Kennedy said:
I'll definitely try that, but then I have another question...if the tank is still cycling, will I mess that up by added new plants? Everything else should have some bacteria on it by now
It shouldn't effect cycling and help quicken things instead.

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I am still not sure what classifies as "normal" betta behavior!! All mine exhibit most behaviors mentioned on this site lol!! I only get worried when they don't come greet me, seems to be the only consistent thing with all of them.

New Threads