Betta + Iridescent Shark = aggression?

EvFreak
I just got a new aquarium and Its housing a Blue Betta Splendens and Ive been dying to buy an Iridescent Shark, so I'm wondering if it would be an issue if I buy one and add it to my collection or will there be friction between these two? Plz let me know asap cause I really want to buy one!

Nick G
HI EvFreak. That's not a good idea I'm afraid. Iridescent Sharks grow huge, up to 4ft in length, and need massive tanks, 1000 gallons plus. If you keep one with a Betta then I'm afraid the Betta will probably be killed.

Aquarist
Good morning,

I agree with Nick. Personally, I do not recommend any tank mates for Bettas.

Ken

EvFreak
Thanks Nick and Aquarist for your guidence and well I wanna know how fast do these sharks grow? as in timespan!

Nick G
They will grow fairly quickly if kept in a huge aquarium, but any normal sized fish tank will severely stunt their growth. Almost all ID Sharks sold in petstores will die early from organ failure, due to growth stunting from being kept in a tank which is too small for them. Pet stores should not be allowed to sell these fish.

Nutter
I'm with Nick. ID Sharks shouldn't be sold through LFS. They are for true monster fish tanks only. They grow quickly & something like a Betta would just represent a tiny snack for a foll grown one. Bettas really belong on their own & ID Sharks need tanks thatmost of us can only dream of.

EvFreak
Would a baby be a good candidate? or still no?

platy ben
Nope, sorry.

Nutter
No ID Sharks are not suitable for tanks under 100gal even when they are very small. If you let us know what size aquarium you do have perhaps we can make some suggestions on what you could stock it with. Be aware that if you have a Betta on the list of fish you want in the tank, most people will recommend that you keep it as the only fish in the tank, regardless of tank size.

LyndaB
Would a baby be a good candidate? or still no?

You're really doing your best to get around the size issue, aren't you....

Whenever you purchase a fish, you should be able to put it into the tank it will need when it reaches adult size. This is how to have a happy and healthy tank.

EvFreak
Yeah that's true well I guess I wasn't thinking of the fishes environment lol

Tigerfishy
Yes we don't want the beautiful shark to be stunted and die of organ failure and stunting, this is very painful. It is a sad fact that many fish are kept in unsuitable homes (goldfish spring to mind immediately) and I really commend you for taking this into account and changing your mind. Well done!

EvFreak
Well thank god my Betta is all happy with its new Home! That was my overall biggest concern!

Aquarist
Good morning,

So glad to hear that your betta is enjoying its new home!

Ken

EvFreak
My next Goal is to make my tiny Red Eared Slider turtle to get it a larger home

Jaysee
... if I buy one and add it to my collection....

what's in you collection? I considder my fish to be a collection, but I'm willing to bet most here do not have that view

sirdarksol
I agree with the advice above
One point of clarification:
Iridescent sharks don't seem to suffer stunting as much as other catfish do. They are literal tankbusters. They will continue to grow until they start panicking in the too-small space, at which point they will begin ramming up against the glass in an attempt to escape until they either die or break the tank (and then usually die anyway). A baby iridescent shark will outgrow a typical betta tank by the end of a year, if not sooner.

Jaysee
Fish grow the fastest when they are young, as a general rule.

r.herges.lhs
yea, my neighbors 400g tank busted in his basement from a smaller ID shark, and the sad thing is he was having a massive custom tank being built for it.

EvFreak
I agree!

Just a Q... how big is your betta tank? is it filtered and heated?

and, it says that you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. this is important information!
I have a 10 Gal. aquarium with high power
filtration and heater and yes I do know about
the Cycling Process!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fashooga
Replies
Views
mishee
Replies
Views