Betta injury

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Sherry Lynn, Jul 14, 2015.

1. S

Sherry Lynn New Member Member

So sorry if this is not the correct place to post this, but I could not find an appropriate ‘sub’ category for me to begin.

I have a male betta named ‘Wanda’ (thought the baby betta was a she at first). I have had him for 2 ½ years and he has been in a 5 gallon tank (filtered and heated) with gravel and silk plants.

I do the prescribed water changes and tank cleanings religiously using Seachem Prime and Kordon Fish Protector and I test regularly with the API Master Test Kit.

His diet consists of New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula (he spits out larger fish food so I’ve stuck with this – plus he likes it), Bloodworms twice a week and three small thawed pea pieces (which he LOVES) once a week.

So far all has been going well – thanks to this Forum which helped me tremendously in the beginning. But, he seems to have a cut or gouge on his back and I have absolutely no idea what happened. There is nothing sharp in the tank that I know of. He has had it for about 2 weeks and I’m not sure if it’s healing or getting worse.

He is not exhibiting any distress that I can tell – he’s acting totally normal, so I am very confused. Any thoughts?

I have attached a few photos. Thank you so much!

Sherry

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

What are your water parameters and what test kit are you using?

3. OP
    OP
    S

Hello again, and thank you so much for being there!

I test using the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. I tested yesterday and received the usual readings: pH 7.0-7.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0.

4. BornThisWayBettas

Hmm. Are you sure you're cycled? You're supposed to have some nitrates when you're cycled.

5. OP
    OP
    S

It's a range - I forgot to put the dash and the 5.0 (we moved this past weekend and had to somewhat restart the tank - I kept as much water as I could). The temp is running a little higher than what it normally runs during the year because it's summer - it's usually 78 degrees. It's gotten up to 83 this past week. I noticed the injury about two weeks ago.

6. BornThisWayBettas

Do you think it's possible that he got banged up in the move?

7. OP
    OP
    S

No, it was noticed before we moved.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice