Betta Information Please

TypicalAqua

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi so I decided to get a betta and I would like to know all the info about it, as in what type of food, tankmates, cold or warm water and do they NEED a small aquarium?
Thak you

AquaticBrandon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Welcome to Fishlore!
Bettas are best kept by themselves. They tend to be aggressive towards other fish. I think the smallest you can put a Betta in is a 5 gallon tank. Some say that a 3 gallon would work, but a 5 gallon is better. You could maybe keep some snails or possibly some shrimp with the betta. Bettas are tropical fish so they will need a heater. I think 78f is ideal for them. I used to feed my bettas a variety of foods such as flakes, pellets, frozen and a few vegetables. They love frozen bloodwoorms. A good variety is best.

Danjamesdixon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Despite being informed it's a bad idea and most likely end in unnecessary deaths in your tank in the other thread you posted?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Warm water. They don't need a small aquarium, but they won't do in huge aquariums because they need to be able to get to the surface easily.
We covered most of your other questions in your other thread.....

djr1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TypicalAqua said:
Hi so I decided to get a betta and I would like to know all the info about it, as in what type of food, tankmates, cold or warm water and do they NEED a small aquarium?
Thak you
A betta is a great fish to keep. Food if you want to make easy...buy the one with the pic of the betta on it. Treats are always a good choice, be it it brine shrimp or bloodworms, etc.
Definitely warmer temps are preferred. It'a a tropical fish. Mid to upper 70's.
Now forgive me but bettas have been successfully housed in small quarters. I do not advocate this.
What size tank are you considering?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
djr1 said:
A betta is a great fish to keep. Food if you want to make easy...buy the one with the pic of the betta on it. Treats are always a good choice, be it it brine shrimp or bloodworms, etc.
Definitely warmer temps are preferred. It'a a tropical fish. Mid to upper 70's.
Now forgive me but bettas have been successfully housed in small quarters. I do not advocate this.
What size tank are you considering?
He wants one in a 100 gallon, like he said in his other thread.
How small is small? 3 gallon minimum, imo.

thefishdude277

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd say any aquarium that is long and shallow that is above 5 gallons.
It simulates their natural habitat, which are rice paddies

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'd say three gallon minimum, and I wouldn't put them into anything outrageously huge. And I started out feeding my betta Hikari Bio-Gold pellets. You can keep them with a ghost shrimp in a 3 gallon tank I'd think, but the betta might decide that the shrimp would make a nice snack. They do need warmer water. Here's a link to the thing about tankmates:

Not recommended for a betta newbie to keep bettas with tankmates though.

djr1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure of the other thread you're all referring to. However if it's a 100G tank. Betta would get lost in it as you can only have one male.
If you really want a betta purchase a much smaller set-up ( min 3 gallon ) and enjoy him.

thefishdude277

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd get a 10 gallon if you want a big tank for a betta

AquaticBrandon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah a 10 gallon would be perfect for a betta. Also I would like to mention that in a 100 gallon, the betta would get really tired from a lot of swimming. They tend to swim to the top of the tank often and in a 100 gallon it would be very hard for the betta. A 100 gallon would look kinda boring with just a betta imo.

Brisilda Kodra

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AquaticBrandon said:
Yeah a 10 gallon would be perfect for a betta. Also I would like to mention that in a 100 gallon, the betta would get really tired from a lot of swimming. They tend to swim to the top of the tank often and in a 100 gallon it would be very hard for the betta. A 100 gallon would look kinda boring with just a betta imo.
100 gallons for a betta??! Why its like a paradise for them it can happen as long as they have plants or big decor to rest on

kuhliloach85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I know it's crazy, but my betta really did wonderful in a 20 gallon. A LOT of space for him to really fan out.... They're fairly large, when you consider their full body size...

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kuhliloach85 said:
I know it's crazy, but my betta really did wonderful in a 20 gallon. A LOT of space for him to really fan out.... They're fairly large, when you consider their full body size...
I'm not really surprised, but that tank is nowhere near the size of a 100g.
The reason I wouldn't have them in that size is explained by AquaticBrandon.

AquaticBrandon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It's already a paradise for them in living in a 10 gallon by itself, or by just simply living in something bigger than those cups that they are in. 100 gallons wouldn't be that great for a betta. I know it's big, but it's way too big for a betta. The betta will get really tired of swimming so much. Especially since bettas swim to the top of the tank often. But even with having a betta in a 100 gallon tank, it would be kinda boring imo. They do better in smaller tanks like a 10 gallon tank which is perfect for them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom