Betta Inactive Post Adding Heater.

Hemanthrn

New Member
Member
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Experience
Just started
Hello,

I have a betta in 2.5 gallon bowl, I got to know the importance of a heater and the temperature requirements for betta and brought Marina minI 25w heater. Post setting up the heater in my Bowl my betta became inactive it just floats on top of the water and once in a while it goes to its hiding place and comes back on top leaving 1or 2 bubble. Its not having food too. Thursday I feed him a pea it enjoyed it happily.. I had set the temperature to 82f and now have reduced to 80f. I added aquarium salt thinking it might have stressed due to temperature change.

Please suggest what should I do.
IMG_20170616_194307.jpg
IMG_20170616_194307.jpg
 

Caitlin86

Well Known
Member
Messages
776
Reaction score
350
Location
Canada
Experience
Just started
Hello! The first thing I notice is there is no filter? No filter means no nitrogen cycle. You need to learn about the nitrogen cycle in order to keep healthy fish. Your betta is constantly giving off ammonia...ammonia is severely toxic to fish...in your filter a colony of bacteria needs to grow so they can consume the ammonia turning it in2 nitrite which is then consumed by another bacteria turning it into nitrate which is then removed through a water change.
 

BReefer97

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,140
Reaction score
1,625
Experience
2 years
I sadly feel as if your bowl is too small. And you definitely need a filter to maintain the cycle of your tank, which is pretty essential to a healthy fish! I promise you, investing in even a small 3 gallon tank at Walmart will make your fish much happier. It's literally around $25 for a 3 gallon tank with a filter. And you already have a heater so you could just use that one! Just add some gravel, some silk plants, a hide away, and probably a betta leaf so he can breath at the surface - all in all, I don't see you spending more than $60-$70 on all of these things. I bet he'd be more active and happy then!
 

Caitlin86

Well Known
Member
Messages
776
Reaction score
350
Location
Canada
Experience
Just started
Unfortunately the bowl looks 2 be 2.5 litres not gallons
 

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,687
Reaction score
3,614
Location
Aberdeen Wa
Experience
2 years
You need to do a water change as soon as possible. If you don't have a filter, you need to be doing daily 50% water changes. I would start this as soon as possible m
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
H

Hemanthrn

New Member
Member
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Experience
Just started
Caitlin86 said:
Hello! The first thing I notice is there is no filter? No filter means no nitrogen cycle. You need to learn about the nitrogen cycle in order to keep healthy fish. Your betta is constantly giving off ammonia...ammonia is severely toxic to fish...in your filter a colony of bacteria needs to grow so they can consume the ammonia turning it in2 nitrite which is then consumed by another bacteria turning it into nitrate which is then removed through a water change.
Sure. Since there is no filter I am doing 50% water change twice a week (Monday and Thursday). Will get a good filter for my Bowl.

Thank you very much. Will do as u have suggested.
BReefer97 said:
I sadly feel as if your bowl is too small. And you definitely need a filter to maintain the cycle of your tank, which is pretty essential to a healthy fish! I promise you, investing in even a small 3 gallon tank at Walmart will make your fish much happier. It's literally around $25 for a 3 gallon tank with a filter. And you already have a heater so you could just use that one! Just add some gravel, some silk plants, a hide away, and probably a betta leaf so he can breath at the surface - all in all, I don't see you spending more than $60-$70 on all of these things.
Caitlin86 said:
Unfortunately the bowl looks 2 be 2.5 litres not gallons
Its a bowl which fits 8 liters of water.
 

BReefer97

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,140
Reaction score
1,625
Experience
2 years
Let us know how it goes! It's definitely cheaper for you to just buy a nice 3-5 gallon tank that comes with a filter as opposed to buying a filter for your bowl. It'll run you about the same amount of money. Beautiful betta fish, promise he will be more active in a new enclosure!
 

Dandelion-Dream

Active Member
Member
Messages
214
Reaction score
66
Location
Connecticut
Experience
Just started
Here's what advice I have to offer:
-Ditch the bowl. It messes up the Betta's sense of direction and can make them very uncomfortable.
-Get a filtered and heated 3 or 5 gallon tank.
-Start doing regular %25 water changes weekly.
-If you're very low on money, try a plastic 5 gallon sterile tote with a sponge filter and a regular heater. It might not look as extravagant, but it's better for the fish.
-Make sure you cycle the new tank and acclimate the fish slowly by dripping some of the new tank water into the bag over the course of 40 minutes approx.
-Put in many places to hide, such as ceramic items or real/fake plants. (Make sure they're silk plants if they're fake. Stiff plastic plants can scratch your Betta.)

Good luck!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
H

Hemanthrn

New Member
Member
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Experience
Just started
Dandelion-Dream said:
Here's what advice I have to offer:
-Ditch the bowl. It messes up the Betta's sense of direction and can make them very uncomfortable.
-Get a filtered and heated 3 or 5 gallon tank.
-Start doing regular %25 water changes weekly.
-If you're very low on money, try a plastic 5 gallon sterile tote with a sponge filter and a regular heater. It might not look as extravagant, but it's better for the fish.
-Make sure you cycle the new tank and acclimate the fish slowly by dripping some of the new tank water into the bag over the course of 40 minutes approx.
-Put in many places to hide, such as ceramic items or real/fake plants. (Make sure they're silk plants if they're fake. Stiff plastic plants can scratch your Betta.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for your valuable suggestion. I have kept my fish at my workstation where aquarium won't accomodate so I have kept him in a bowl. Will shift to a bigger aquarium soon at home. I love him so much..
 

Jen86

Active Member
Member
Messages
332
Reaction score
231
Location
Las Vegas
Experience
More than 10 years
Hemanthrn said:
Thank you so much for your valuable suggestion. I have kept my fish at my workstation where aquarium won't accomodate so I have kept him in a bowl. Will shift to a bigger aquarium soon at home. I love him so much..
Here's a 3.5 gallon tank that comes with a filter, and will fit on a desk.



I personally don't like keeping bettas at work, though. It's very difficult to monitor them in that setting, and since timing is crucial should they become ill, you may miss important time windows.

I prefer this instead. It's 5 gallons and comes with the filter (although the filter is strong, it needs to be baffled... which I do by sliding the foot of a cheap black nylon stocking over it) I've got a male in one now. It's about 60 pounds with water, light enough that it can sit on top of my short bookshelf at home.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
100
Guests online
2,127
Total visitors
2,227

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom