Betta in Pet Stores

yunyt131

*I'm not going to name the pet store because I'm not looking for a lawsuit lol.*
Also, a semi-sensitive topic about fish dying/poor care

I went to the pet store the other day to kill some time and look at some cool fish. I went to the betta section where I got my own a few months ago. I was entertained by their colored but saddened by their confined space and dull expressions. To my surprise, I found two males in one cup. I grabbed the cup quickly and notified the closest employee. He was shocked, too, and then we noticed an empty cup on the shelf. The cups were filled with water to the brim, making it easy for them to jump out. Luckily, the fish landed in another cup; the employee told me they had one jump out and die on impact with the floor! :(

TheDitherFish

I went to the pet store near me to get a betta and they had a couple that had arrived in october and looked pretty good. the lady there said they had in in from september that was sold right before christmas

TasselledWobbegong

The cup set up is bad enough and my arthritis worsens every time I see it, but no lids? That's a first. The fact that the two had managed to get in the one cup without notice is alarming too, even if it recently happened.

Ive seen some scary conditions in the past (no names), but they don't do fish anymore so that gives ya it. Saved the ones a could, its such a sad fate for a "pretty colored fish".

Sien

Well Known
Often times it's actually other customers messing with the animals, I know this from experience because I worked at a pet store. Someone dumped a betta into the aquatic turtle tank. Luckily he hid for a few days and survived. Plenty of other awful things people would do.

OP
yunyt131

yunyt131

TasselledWobbegong said:
The cup set up is bad enough and my arthritis worsens every time I see it, but no lids? That's a first. The fact that the two had managed to get in the one cup without notice is alarming too, even if it recently happened.

Ive seen some scary conditions in the past (no names), but they don't do fish anymore so that gives ya it. Saved the ones a could, its such a sad fate for a "pretty colored fish".
The cups actually did have lids with little holes cut from the center. I can't imagine how the fish was able to get out of his cup and into another

TasselledWobbegong

yunyt131 said:
The cups actually did have lids with little holes cut from the center. I can't imagine how the fish was able to get out of his cup and into another
Ah those, Ive seen lids like that. Sien did make a point though with customers messing with the fish, would be a shame if that was the case.

New Threads