Betta in a Salinated Community Tank

zanith56

Reaction score
Hey Folks;

I have a tank of Mollies, 2 Balloons, 1 Dalmation, 2 Lyres, 1 Sunset, 2 Silver Lyres . . . They are in a slight to mild salinated tank with decent filtration and plantage. I have been wanting to place a male betta into the tank to add some color and difference into the tank (actually wanting to move him out of one tank so I can place a newly arriving male in his place).

Any recommendations on how to get him properly situated into the tank? I placed him in the tank briefly in a small breeding tank, he was gasping a lot for a while so I put him back with his female (whom is divided from him). Also, he is not an overly aggressive male, so I am curious if he would be fine in a tank with mollies. I have read about this and most people do not talk about Bettas and mollies, but about other fish . . . PLEASE HELP!

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't know if the salt would be good for a betta.

I would be concerned that the betta would nip the lyre mollies, though.

Hopefully someone else will have more information... if you put your betta into the tank, make certain you acclimate him slowly from fresh to salt water.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The salt would definately NOT be good for your Betta.
Carol

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
NO bettas do not do well with any fish with long flowing fins, they mistake them for other bettas and the fight is on. I know you said that he is not tempermental but he cannot go in the same tank as a female either, they will injure or kill each other. You should not be getting bettas you do not have room for until you have a place for them. It is never a good idea to "replace" a fish out of the tank he is in just to get another.

Salt is not good for bettas or any other freshwater fish and the mollies do not need it either. They were considered brackish fish but any more are bred in freshwater too and do quite well in freshwater. The other fish that are in that salt water probably are not liking it much as it dehydrates them.

You need to get the betta a tank of his own if you are not going to have freshwater in there.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Regardless of the salt, I'm not sure I'd trust Bettas and Mollies together. That's just asking for fin nipping...

One more point. You said that you have a male and female Betta in a divided tank. Well, if it's like most dividers there are holes in it for water to flow through. This is not a problem when you have two extablished, known healthy fish in there. But if you moved your current male Betta out and put in a new one, without first separately quarintining him, you would risk making the female sick if it turns out the new Betta is carrying a disease.

zanith56

Reaction score
Regarding the Betta:

The new comer is coming with a tank, however, I was hoping that I would be able to use it for quaranteen purposes.

The male in question is fairly easy going. He does not seem overly aggressive nor is he startled very easily. I will just leave him with his female.

Regarding my mollies:

Mine are being kept in salt because I more often than not bring in mollies from other salinated/salted tanks, so all is well. Also, Mollies do like higher pH levels which are easily maintainable with a couple teaspoons of acquarium medicated salt on an every other day basis. I have noticed even behavior and activity differences after the introduction of this salt.

Thoughts from other molly owners?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, there is a lot of disagreement over whether or not to keep Mollies with sale, but I personally don't think it will hurt them, as long as you don't use overly large amounts. Whether or not it actually is a benefit to them I don't know...

What size tank is the new Betta coming with?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom