Betta in a bowl?

• Thread starter emilijad
  • Start date

emilijad

Hii everyone, I have a quick question. My betta lives in a 4 gallon planted, heated tank with a filter, everything’s fine with him, but I have to move him out of my apartment for 2 days due to some work being done on the floors and stuff like that, so I was wondering if he would be okay in a bowl for those two days? I have one from when I first kept my betta (I know, very bad idea), but it’s only for 2 days so I’m wondering if that’s fine? I just had that idea since it’s much easier than to move the whole tank, empty all the water move everything to another apartment etc.

Crimson_687

Well Known
Have you got a filter for the bowl? What size is it? You don’t want ammonia to accumulate and poison the fish

Darwinthebloodparrot

Yes that should be ok for only 2 days just take some tank water to fill it up and keep the water at the same temp as the tank would be and you’ll be fine

emilijad

Crimson_687 said:
Have you got a filter for the bowl? What size is it? You don’t want ammonia to accumulate and poison the fish
I’m not sure about the size, it was the largest one I could find at the pet store but thats all I know unfortunately. I don’t have a filter for the bowl, I have the hang on filter on my tank I could try setting up but Im not sure if it’s gonna work

Darwinthebloodparrot said:
Yes that should be ok for only 2 days just take some tank water to fill it up and keep the water at the same temp as the tank would be and you’ll be fine
Okay, thank you so much! It might even be less than 2 days so I’m hoping he’ll be just fine

Darwinthebloodparrot

You could try making one of those DIY bottle filter for now

emilijad

Darwinthebloodparrot said:
You could try making one of those DIY bottle filter for now
I’ll look into that, thanks for the advice!

kansas

If you change the water every day it will be ok without a filter.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
kansas said:
If you change the water every day it will be ok without a filter.
Agree. I would just put your heater in there. It will be fine for 2 days. Maybe a air stone. Keep your filter going in your main tank though. ;)

Vivo

I would put an airstone also, just adjust it so it’s not too heavy bubbles and blows him around. Also lots of plants, a hide. Maybe some gravel/sand from his tank. As a matter of fact if you transfer decorations and substrate that migh carry over beneficial bacteria. If you break down your tank keep filter media and everything in your tank wet with tank water.

kbn

For 2 days, nothing will happen. Bettas are really hardy fish and they can survive a lot worse than 2 days without a filter and heater. Unfortunately, that also makes them one of the most abused fish in the hobby. Put some filter media from your filter (clean it in tank water first) into the bowl and dont feed him a day before yoi put him in, that means he won't poop and thus will prevent any ammonia burns and build up. That's all that's required, good luck with your work!
Also, I almost forgot, put a lid with holes on top of the bowl so that he or she doesn't jump out when you're gone

Crimson_687

Well Known
emilijad said:
I’m not sure about the size, it was the largest one I could find at the pet store but thats all I know unfortunately. I don’t have a filter for the bowl, I have the hang on filter on my tank I could try setting up but Im not sure if it’s gonna work
I think you’ll be alright then, definitely monitor those parameters tho. I’ve seen some bowls as small as the cups they sell bettas in (with decor the water volume is even less) so I wasn’t sure what to expect. If you’ve got seachem prime that’ll help you out. As StarGirl do keep the filter running, you don’t want your beneficial bacteria to die. If you have to turn off the filter, put your filter media in a bag of tank water and place in the fridge. Colder water will have more oxygen and slow the activity of your bacteria, meaning they should stay alive for a few days.

kbn

Wait, you're taking your betta with you? Well, if I were you, I'd just keep him in his comparatively spacious tank with a lid and keep the filter running, it'll be better for the fish! If you have plants, a 2 day blackout won't do any harm at all and might even take care of some of the algae. Unless you have a light timer.

emilijad

kbn said:
Wait, you're taking your betta with you? Well, if I were you, I'd just keep him in his comparatively spacious tank with a lid and keep the filter running, it'll be better for the fish! If you have plants, a 2 day blackout won't do any harm at all and might even take care of some of the algae. Unless you have a light timer.
Yup I am, I have to move him since he’s in the way kind of haha. That was my initial idea, to take the whole tank with me but its for less than 2 days, I’m moving him tomorrow night and bringing him back to his place on Tuesday afternoon so its really only a day and its just too much work moving everything for that time. I thought I’d put a little substrate from the tank, one stone with plants on it and pour in tank water into the bowl and keep him in there for a day.

Thank you all for your replies! I will keep his tank running with the filter and everything, I just have to move it somewhere and keep it covered due to dust and everything from the floor being replaced, so thats why Im taking my betta with me, I just feel better knowing he’s with me just in case. So I’ll just take him and some water from his tank.

Vivo

emilijad said:
Thank you all for your replies! I will keep his tank running with the filter and everything, I just have to move it somewhere and keep it covered due to dust and everything from the floor being replaced, so thats why Im taking my betta with me, I just feel better knowing he’s with me just in case. So I’ll just take him and some water from his tank.
Lucky betta to have such a caring parent!

ForceTen

Just remove 1/2 the water and keep the fish in the tank.
Moving two gallons of water is no issue.
You are overthinking this. Just move the tank.

BlueSable

emilijad said:
Hii everyone, I have a quick question. My betta lives in a 4 gallon planted, heated tank with a filter, everything’s fine with him, but I have to move him out of my apartment for 2 days due to some work being done on the floors and stuff like that, so I was wondering if he would be okay in a bowl for those two days? I have one from when I first kept my betta (I know, very bad idea), but it’s only for 2 days so I’m wondering if that’s fine? I just had that idea since it’s much easier than to move the whole tank, empty all the water move everything to another apartment etc.

The size will stress him out along with the fact you'll have to 100% change the water in it at least once a day. just move the whole tank.

edit: My notifications said this was posted a few minutes ago oof

Top Bottom