Betta In 5 1/2 Gal. Any Tips

Betta Great Granny

I have a male Betta in a 5 1/2 gallon tank. I'm wondering about changing out my Whisper PF 10 filter for an AquaClear 110 V. Any options? I want to change what goes in it, I don't like the media in the Whisper, like the setup in the AquaClear 110V, so I can add more. What do you think? I read reviews said they aren't good. ?????

SKYE.__.HIGH

That would be WAY WAY WAY to much filtration. The 110's are meant to filter a 60-110 gallon aquarium (that's what fluval says) . In reality they can filter a 30- 55 gallon aquarium. The aquaclear 20 would fit your needs quite nicely. The aquaclears are very nice filters and they generally don't break or screw up on anything. The only thing you have to do is get the one that's most suited to your size of tank.

FishFish221

Aquaclear filters are probably one of the best Hang On Back [HOB] filters available in the market. Mines have lasted for more than two years and is still going strong. Its filter media basket is also pretty big and customizable, but if they are overfilled, the water will start flowing out from the back. Overall, a pretty good filter. Just make sure the flow isn't too strong for you betta.

That would be WAY WAY WAY to much filtration. The 110's are meant to filter a 60-110 gallon aquarium (that's what fluval says) . In reality they can filter a 30- 55 gallon aquarium. The aquaclear 20 would fit your needs quite nicely. The aquaclears are very nice filters and they generally don't break or screw up on anything. The only thing you have to do is get the one that's most suited to your size of tank.
Agree, it is too much.

aquatickeeper

The current would probably blow the betta around. It's too much flow for the betta. A 500 gph filter in a 5.5 gallon tank isn't a good idea for a betta, IMO.

SKYE.__.HIGH

I do t even think you could fit the 110 on your tank. And it would be like a rolling rapid in there.

goldface

Other options are the Azoo palm filter, like the mignon 60, which would be perfect for a single betta, and the next size up would be the 150. They both have adjustable flow.

bettathe

I have a 10 gallon with a CAF-40 sponge filter that works great. The only bad thing about a sponge filter is that is goes inside of your aquarium(which would take up a lot of room in a 5gal). But they are quite simple to use and clean! Many LFS carry them and are quite cheap. And remember over filtration is much better then not enough... but bettas also do not enjoy being thrown around by the water.

Piaelliott

You can probably customize the media in your whisper filter. I have an Aqueon filter and don't use the media that is supposed to go in there. I bought a Fluval sponge and squeezed it in the holder. Also, a pre-filter on the intake gives you extra mechanical and biological filtration.
A betta is not a messy fish, you don't need a lot of filtration.

tunafax

I do t even think you could fit the 110 on your tank. And it would be like a rolling rapid in there.

LOL it can fit on marineland 5.5. I tried just for fun. AC110 is almost the same size as a 5 gallon tank.

Here's my AC20(?) next to my AC110. If you squint real hard, the yellow dot is actually $1 for size.

You must be registered to see images

tunafax

Betta Great Granny Real answer. I assume you're talking about that little aquaclear powerhead. And the answer is no either way. Your whisper 10 is probably too much for a betta. They like very little flow in their tank. Is there any reason you want to upgrade the filter? Problems with the fish? Sick? Cloudy water?

You must be registered to see images
AC 110v

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dechi
  • Question
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
Replies
Views