Betta In 10 Gal With 6 Neons

cody11

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok people I am beginning to think I wasn't meant to have fish. Well first it was the 20 gal that got ick. Everyone died. Now will shortly be starting that tank again. So now today in my 10 gal. I find with my betta and 6 neon's are now a betta and 1 neon. I don't know what happened. I have had the neon's for a week. I am thinking maybe the betta was scaring them. He really ignored them so I don't know what happened. Maybe he was meant to swim alone. Help Thanks

midna

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
neons need at least a 20 gallon long to swim around, as they're very fast, active schooling fish. some people keep them in 10 gallon or less because they're a nano fish, but I don't think it's a good idea.

neon tetras also tend to carry neon tetra disease because of bad breeding and the like. I think they're also susceptible to other diseases. bettas can be really aggressive and attack anything in their territory, so it's usually best to give them a 10 gallon for themselves. did the neons disappear (meaning the betta ate them) or did you find their bodies?

there's also the condition of your water to consider. is the tank cycled? what are the parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, temperature)? I believe bettas are hardier fish, so they'd be more likely to survive ammonia and nitrite spikes than the neons. neons also like colder water and bettas like warmer (78 to 80 degrees), so it could be a temperature incompatibility that's killing them off.

OP
C

cody11

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
midna said:
neons need at least a 20 gallon long to swim around, as they're very fast, active schooling fish. some people keep them in 10 gallon or less because they're a nano fish, but I don't think it's a good idea.

neon tetras also tend to carry neon tetra disease because of bad breeding and the like. I think they're also susceptible to other diseases. bettas can be really aggressive and attack anything in their territory, so it's usually best to give them a 10 gallon for themselves. did the neons disappear (meaning the betta ate them) or did you find their bodies?

there's also the condition of your water to consider. is the tank cycled? what are the parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, temperature)? I believe bettas are hardier fish, so they'd be more likely to survive ammonia and nitrite spikes than the neons. neons also like colder water and bettas like warmer (78 to 80 degrees), so it could be a temperature incompatibility that's killing them off.

OP
C

cody11

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No they died today. I have had betas before but they were always by themselves. I think your right. I'll keep the betta by itself. Thanks for your answer.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom