Betta In 10 Gal Tank

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by cody11, Jun 14, 2018.

1. c

cody11 Valued Member Member

Hi all,

I have a 10 gal tank with one male betta and 6 neon tetras. I am wondering if I could add something else. How about rasporas? I would appreciate any insight you have. Thanks

2. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Technically you have stocking issues as is, so I wouldn't add anything else. Bettas and neons aren't considered temp compatible (bettas preferring the low 80s and neons preferring low 70s), neons are recommended for tanks with 30+ inch footprints, and bettas aren't recommended to be kept with other fish in anything less than 20 gallons due to possible aggression issues down the line.

3. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Actually, neons do well in high 70's, and you can keep up to 10 in a 10 gallon, no problem. The real problem here is the elephant in the room--your Betta may do just fine or may, after months of living peacefully with the neons, randomly go postal and kill everyone. For that reason alone, I'd advocate keeping the Betta in this tank and getting a 20 long for the neons. That way, you can increase their shoal or else put in a nice contrasting fish that will shoal with them (say, 6 golden Pristellas), and then about half a dozen pygmy cories.

Then the Betta can watch and be entertained by the tetras next door with no chance of deciding to off them ;)

4. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

Betta’s do fine with other fish in a ten gallon. If you boy is use to small fish I would stick to small fish so rasporas are probably the best idea, alough I wouldn’t get more then 3 because there are already 7 fish in there.
    Good luck!

Also if you don’t already have any I would put a couple of snails in there to help with the cleaning a little bit. Maybe Nertile snails or perhaps 2 mystery snails

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2018
  5. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

I'll agree with @endlercollector that neons do fine in the upper 70's. I definitely wouldn't keep them anything above 78F or so, but they have no issues with these higher temps.

That said, I would say that you're already playing a dangerous game with a betta and neons in a 10. Some bettas will accept tank mates, and some won't - if you're not having issues so far, you're probably fine. But you're definitely at capacity, as I wouldn't keep anything more than 6 neons in a 10. If you'd like to add more fish, I'd actually recommend getting a 20 long and doing a larger school of neons with some more peaceful fish, while leaving the betta in the 10. Bettas can be kept in communities, but it's not ideal, especially not in smaller tanks.

6. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

Personally, I wouldnt do the neons and betta together in a 10 gallon, but since its what you have I definitely wouldnt add more fish. Add a ton of plants, and big ones, and keep your fingers crossed.

7. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

For fish, you're near the limit. A couple of Nerite snails would be fine though. Just hope the Betta stays peaceful.

8. E

E150GT Valued Member Member

What kind of filter do you have? I think you could add some rasbora as long as you have a decent filter and do weekly water changes. Plants help too. I have many fond memories of my 10 gallon as a kid full of fish that thrived. i just changed water weekly and had good filtration.

9. OP
    OP
    c

cody11 Valued Member Member

Hi thanks for answering. I have a good filter and always do weekly water changes. The reason I thought I would be able to add the rasporas because the neons are so small. I know that bettas and neons and rasporas are good tank mates. Also I have a 20 gal with white and blackskirt tetras and glo fish. I figure if they ever get to large I also have a 30 gal I can use. The same would be with the 10 gal if they got too large I would put them in the 20 gal.

10. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

The problem is, neons really need a lot more water and a larger school. And a betta in a small tank with other fish that are darting all over will probably agitate it.

11. E

E150GT Valued Member Member

My betta was never aggressive to other fish, and I would normally say that neons can swim much faster than bettas so they'd be safe, but I recently had shrimp pick off 9 of my neons in a 29 gallon so anything is possible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice