Betta Imbellis Log

Rtessy
Thought it might be fun to make a log...
So they were a bit of an impulse buy, I had done a lot of research a month or so prior, so I knew a pair could go in a ten gallon. Well, I guess I had assumed they would be rather peaceful, since a lot of people talked about how theirs never spawned or gave any indication of spawning behavior.
Well, I put the female in first, then the male, and he immediately darkened and started flaring for her. Then they ignored each other for a while, I fed them and they ignored one another, 1-2 hours later the female has dark breeding stripes.
A while later, the male started to chase her for 3-10 seconds (increasing over the hours) 2-3 times an hour. She chased him as well a few times.
Well, later in the day, around 6 (they went in around 10), I saw a little tear in her fin, so I got a breeder net and put her in with lots of plants.
So that's where we stand now. She's a lot less stressed, still very striped, and the males seems sad, he keeps looking under IAL's for her. He also hasn't built a bubble nest.
They really love blackworms, and also accept pellets

Attachments

• IMG_20180909_191653524.jpg
    IMG_20180909_191653524.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 173
  • Screenshot_20180909-144836.png
    Screenshot_20180909-144836.png
    529 KB · Views: 180
  • Screenshot_20180909-135812.png
    Screenshot_20180909-135812.png
    461.6 KB · Views: 176
ValerieAdams
Looking forward to following this! Were they together when you bought them?

Rtessy
Looking forward to following this! Were they together when you bought them?
No, they were separate, and are approximately 4-5 months, and wild caught (feel a bit bad, tbh )

Rtessy
Well, came home to a bubble nest and a few minutes after I got back the female got out of the breeder net... They're still being pretty darn aggressive

Attachments

• IMG_20180910_161950640.jpg
    IMG_20180910_161950640.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 125
Rtessy
Well, gosh, came home to the male having built an extra bubble nest, female was chilling in her area, both looked like they wanted food but the male wouldn't eat...
Three hours later, here I am realizing there are eggs in the nest
I literally just got these guys Saturday!! It's only Tuesday, how'd they settle in so fast?! And they both still have breeding stripes.

IMG_20180911_185450495.jpg

chromedome52
Probably teenagers. Couldn't wait and can't stop 'em.

Congratulations! Now comes the fun part!

Rtessy
Thanks! Main problem is a business trip in two weeks... ugh, two week point they're past Microworms, right?
Main fish sitter isn't in town, I have one other person I can try, fingers crossed!

Rtessy
Oops, guess me taking pictures spooked him, because when I came back the eggs were gone and he's hovering under another part of his huge bubble nest

Rtessy
Hm, I don't see the eggs, really hope the male didn't eat them...

chromedome52
They often move them around, leaving them in one spot makes them easier to find. That's why they build a nest several times larger than you would think they need.

Rtessy
Well, ordered some Microworms that should get here Friday, have a batch of weak greenwater (unfortunately from my Betta Splendis tank... That nigloc Thrive is some strong stuff). Setting up an infusoria culture now

goldface
Well, ordered some Microworms that should get here Friday, have a batch of weak greenwater (unfortunately from my Betta Splendis tank... That nigloc Thrive is some strong stuff). Setting up an infusoria culture now
Best way I found to make greenwater quickly is to use grass clippings.

Rtessy
Best way I found to make greenwater quickly is to use grass clippings.
Unfortunately the places around me have tons of pesticides, but I was planning on going to my parents sometime this week to collect leaves from the forest, so I may just drop in early, lol

goldface
Unfortunately the places around me have tons of pesticides, but I was planning on going to my parents sometime this week to collect leaves from the forest, so I may just drop in early, lol
Never heard of using leaves. I suppose it could work. Grass-clippings contain a lot of phosphorous, which is why I suggested it. I had green water overnight. But yes, if you are unsure about pesticides, best to stay away. Better safe than sorry

Rtessy
Thank you, that makes sense! The water is already green/yellow hazy, decently dark.
Also, do I leave the light on for the male? Or do I turn it off to reduce stress? Or just off at night?

Rtessy
Ugh, unfortunately I think the male ate the eggs, he's made two more bubble nests, and I can't find the eggs in any of the four. The part he's hovering over doesn't have any either. I guess it could have been the female, but they did start to disappear when he started "moving" them.
At least it gives me more time to prepare for the next possible ones

Rtessy
Uhhhh, I may have been wrong about the male eating the eggs

And now I'm getting concerned that the hurricane may delay my Microworms... Fun
Also, I'm probably going to try fairy shrimp instead of bbs, mainly because I am curious and since their nutritional value 1-2 days after hatching is about the same

Attachments

• IMG_20180912_210449479.jpg
    IMG_20180912_210449479.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 121
Rtessy
Okay wow, just watched my female, on the other side of the tank, near the original spawn/egg site, suck up a fry, and spit it back in the nest, continue this 7 more times until it stayed up, then blow more bubbles into the nest!! I didn't think females were able to!!! And she's looking after just one little fry (but it's very transluscent, unlike the others, hopefully just the lighting angle)

Rtessy
Nevermind, the fry is bouncing around. There's also an egg, I guess unfertilized (fungus), over with the female, so that's sad but also interesting to see.

Rtessy
The male got a bit antsy and chased her for a few seconds, but she went right back to the one fry and blew some more bubbles and ate the fungused egg. That little fry is very active, going almost a whole centimeter below the nest before jumping back into it. Poor mom must be going mad! And I can't imagine how the dad is handling so many!!

VeiltailKing
They are so fun to watch! I love watching them fall and then the dad picks them back up and puts them in the nest.

Rtessy
They are so fun to watch! I love watching them fall and then the dad picks them back up and puts them in the nest.
Yeah! The one with the mom is capable of getting back up into the nest most of the time, but also aggressively tries to swim away, lol.

Rtessy

Screenshot_20180913-161522.png
Screenshot_20180913-161531.png
Two little babies from the mom's nest. Don't know where the mom is, going to search in a little bit

Rtessy
Ok, so a few questions;
Is this what greenwater is supposed to look like?? It's rather yellow...

IMG_20180913_185740329_HDR.jpg
Also, I don't have any plants that stretch from the floor to the top, so there aren't any solid sight breaks. I got the absolute behemoth red Rubin sword. So, at what point can I put it in? Free swimming stage? I'll have to add more sand. Anyway, current plan is to put the female in the breeder net once fry are free swimming, since she's getting some damage to the mouth, which is odd to me.

IMG_20180913_185824664.jpg

BettaBeetlesandBugs
Good on ya! Yeah, I don’t have any fry food at the moment so I’m using egg yolk. It works but it messes up the water chemistry and I have to do water changes in the morning and evening.

chromedome52
Yes, that is green water. It's a pale green, I wouldn't call it yellow, but everyone sees things differently.

Rtessy
Yes, that is green water. It's a pale green, I wouldn't call it yellow, but everyone sees things differently.
Okay great, thanks! Haha, I'm actually a bit color blind, normally okay with greens, but guess not this one

Also the guy I got Microworms from gave me packets of stage one and stage two fry foods, so that was great! ( It was Fishguy_1995, hope he doesn't mind the promo, lol, but great customer service!)

Rtessy
And could I mess with the tank once they're free swimming? I'll have to break through the wall of anacharis at the top, so that's going to disturb a lot of the tank.

IMG_20180913_220240282.jpg
Also, idk how I'm going to be able to find the babies in the tank and feed them... oops

Rtessy
The male started to check the whole area of the tank for a few seconds every hour or so, and would chase the feamle, and she ended up having to hide and abandon her nest
The male still has 40-50 babies in his bubble nest, and they are capable of swimming back up to the nest about 3 inches max, and repeatedly swimming into it 8-9 times in a row to Lodge themselves in it. Yesterday the max was a little under a centimeter, but the amount of times was comparable.

Rtessy
Some free swimmers today!! At least one, lol. Some are hanging out under the nest, vertical, about an inch below, some are hanging out in the nest but horizontal, and the free swimming one is in the plants.
Green water and infusoria cultures going great! Microworms started!

Rtessy
Everyone is horizontal! Only a few have ventured away from the nest, some are actually pretty strong swimmers and able to evade the dad when he tries to get them up to the bubblenest. Most are still in the nest. I've been adding in green water in a few places in the tank, since I'm realizing spot feeding won't really be possible. I'll be adding in some ramshorns before I leave to clean up the missed food, and I've seen the parents snack on baby ramshorns, so win win.

chromedome52
The fry are free-swimming, that means they are now at risk of being eaten by the parents. Unlike Cichlids, once the fry are swimming Anabantoid parents do not continue caring for them. You will have to move either the parents or the fry. Normally I would move the parents, as moving the fry has several hazards.

Rtessy
The fry are free-swimming, that means they are now at risk of being eaten by the parents. Unlike Cichlids, once the fry are swimming Anabantoid parents do not continue caring for them. You will have to move either the parents or the fry. Normally I would move the parents, as moving the fry has several hazards.
Thank you, I have definitely heard this about bettas. This is going to sound really dumb, but I really don't have another tank to set up for the parents. From the research I had done, the earliest personal account of having a pair together and getting them spawning was after 3 months, most of them later or never, so I thought I had more time to prepare, if they did ever spawn. Mainly it's the problem of my businesses trip in a week, for a week. I know the chances of them surviving that long without food are extremely slim, and this sounds really cold, but I think I'm going to try and focus my efforts on the nest batch
I'll be adding more plants and mosses, and hopefully some will be able to scrape by one whatever infusoria is in the tank.

Rtessy
The dad keeps bringing back free swimmers to the nest, lol. Some of them just stay there, most just stay in that area. Pics of babies and the dad, and magnified picture of a baby looking at you, and side view

Screenshot_20180915-193858.png
Screenshot_20180915-193905.png
Screenshot_20180915-193949.png
Screenshot_20180915-193956.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180915-193912.png
    Screenshot_20180915-193912.png
    423.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_20180915-193847.png
    Screenshot_20180915-193847.png
    551.3 KB · Views: 81
Rtessy
So, apparently some of the babies aren't as strong of swimmers as I thought. Found about 15 scattered on the ground on the other side of the tank. Most, if not all, were still alive, so I used a turkey baster to move them back to Dad's area, as he has shown he is able to pick up fry out of the sanded bottom, and I think I saw him get them all.
They still seem to need a bubble nest near them to rest at the top in, and the bubbles under the red root floater leaves work as substitutes.
Also, the female was really getting a beating, torn fins, so she went back in the breeder box first time I saw her.
Have tried feeding Microworms a few times, only three have shown any interest in one of the feedings yesterday, but since then they haven't. Have been adding lots of the green water, I think they like that? If not, it sure is adding a lot of suspended particles, so they should be able to eat at some point

midna
OMG!!!! they are too tiny

Rtessy
OMG!!!! they are too tiny
Super small!! The loupe magnifies 30x, so imagine them thirty times smaller, lol.
They actually grew a good bit so far, their heads are 2-3mm long.
Still haven't seen them eat, but I think the infusoria are feeding on the grenwater, as there has been a boom in their population today.
The female managed to get out of the breeder box again, put her back in and raised it even higher, and lowered the saran wrap over the top.
Started to try and put the sword in, but when I started moving the anacharis out of the way, fry started falling, so I'll push that back to around Wednesday probably.
Got the fairy shrimp eggs, today isbthe day I'm trying to hatch some. Since Microworms still seem to big for them, this will probably be a trial batch.
Maybe imbellis babies are just smaller than splendis babies, makes a little sense

sinned4g63
Glad this is going well for you! Looking forward to seeing them grow up.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rumor001
Replies
Views
Rtessy
Replies
Views
SM1199
  • Question
Replies