Betta Illness? Help

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by 2040473, Jul 14, 2019.

1. 2040473

2040473Valued MemberMember

Recently I went a way for a few days. I had a pet sitter take care of my fish. When I came back I noticed that my female betta had some black marks on her. I thought they were just from her nocking up against a hard decor price. But then the next thing I noticed is one of her eyes started to cloud over and her scales on one side started to flake off and the black spots are growing. Does anyone know what this is?? Here are some photos of here today...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

3. OP
    OP

4. OP
    OP

My beta is going down very fast. It has spread further down her body. Does anyone know how to stop this??? Or what it even is

5. Momgoose56

Whats she doing right now? More pics? Looking closely at her, I'm wondering if she doesn't have columnaris. You can start treatment for that by lowering tank temp to 74-75°F, and give her a medicated fish bath using methylene blue. Here's a link that describes 4 steps for treating it:

6. OP
    OP

Thank u. But I have done some reasearch on Clumarius(sorry I don’t know how to spell it). But in person she doesn’t seem to have those symptoms. It isn’t fluffy or cottony like Clumarius it’s her actul scales that have turned white and started to fall off.
    Now it has spread to this...
    [​IMG]

7. Momgoose56

Columnaris is also referred to as "saddleback disease" because of the classic saddle like appearance of the infection. This most recent picture looks classic. It also will present as darkened areas and lesions (sores) on the gill plates or operculum and face. It doesn't always have a fuzzy appearance. It's not a fungus but rather a gram negative bacteria. I can't be sure, but that was my first impression and still is. In any case, lower your tank heater temp. Microbes grow faster in warmer water. Maybe someone else will chime in here.

8. OP
    OP

Ok thank u for all ur help I will do that! Also is there something o should do in the future to prevent this?

9. Momgoose56

Just keep your tank clean. Don't overfeed. Water changes prevent illness. I had a 55 gallon tank for over 20 years. I changed that tank water over 1,000 times, had most of my original fish die of old age. I had an albino kissing Gourami (Binny) my brother gave me when I was 16 who outlived them all. He finally died of old age when I was 35 and my son was 16! Binny was about 23-25 years old and was 10.8 inches long when he died.

10. OP
    OP

Oh my gosh! Wow! Ya I usually do water changes every week. But when I was gone I believe my pet sitter over fed. But thank u for all the help!