Betta Illness

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by BrookeHillary, Apr 16, 2018.

1. BrookeHillary

BrookeHillary New Member Member

Can anyone help with this Betta illness? It looks like his whole gill has rotted away. It’s been going on for a few weeks. I started treating it with aquarium salt and Paraguard. That seemed to slow it down a little but didn’t get rid of it. I went to a local fish store and they recommended polyguard. We’ve been treating for 1 week with that and he still looks rough, now it almost looks like there are strange growths in the area. Does anyone else have any recommendations? Attached are a few photos taken during his treatment.

Attached Files:

2. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Does he have anything he can cut his gill on. Any tank mates that could bite?

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Can you give us some more info? Tank size and tank mates?

Water parameters? pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates

Do you know what's in polyguard?

4. OP
    OP
    BrookeHillary

No tank mates. At this point nothing that he could scratch on. It’s possible that the initial injury could have been from a rock. But I can’t be sure.

5 gal tank. No tank mates now, we originally had a couple snails. Temp is at 79, pH is about 7.8, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all zero.

These are the listed ingredients from PolyGuard.

Active ingredients: sulfathiazole (36%), malachite green (1.9%), nitrofurantoin (0.14%), nitrofural (0.14%), quinacrine dihydrochloride (0.27%). Inactive ingredients: excipients (61%)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  5. Iverg1

Do you have a filter he could have caught his gill on it. If it’s strong enough

6. OP
    OP
    BrookeHillary

No, there is a soft sponge over it so that the flow isn’t too strong.

7. Iverg1

Might be this?  

8. OP
    OP
    BrookeHillary

It’s possible, but I have had aquarium salts in and it hasn’t helped. I’m just kind of stumped on what to do, or if I just need to be more patient.

9. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would quit the salt, but do water changes as frequently as the Polyguard will allow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice