5 Gallon Tank Betta Identification? Flaring? Blowout?

addyalaska

Hi! This is my fairly new betta, Mo. He’s living comfortably in a planted 5g tank. I’m wondering if anyone has thoughts on his tail type? He’s got a bit of a spiky situation going on, but I do think he was doing some fin nipping when he was stuck in the little cup at the fish store, so i’m not sure if it’s natural or not... Additionally, I’m guessing he’s pretty young. He’s way smaller than any betta I’ve had before.

An unrelated question is that I think he’s experiencing blowout on his fins from flaring. He’s got a couple teeny little pinholes, but no sign of fin rot or anything, and his water is pristine and parameters are good. He’s a VERY active and feisty guy, and I’ve been using a little mirror with him for about 30 seconds every day or couple days, to help keep him entertained. Especially since he’s shown me he’s keen on fin biting if he’s bored, I’ve been worried about that, but now I’m afraid he’s flaring too much and it’s hurting him. Should I be concerned about blowout?

Ghelfaire

Looks like a halfmoon to me. Yhe spiky bit could be from tail biting, fin rot is usually white. Give him some time and see if it heals.
There are other ways to keep a betta entertained. Floating a pingpong ball for him to push around, changing the decorations every now and then, even adding a small snail as a tankmate might keep him entertained.

Upvote 0

grac3

depending on how wide his tail flares to, he could be a halfmoon if it flares up to 180 degrees. if not he's a delta. he could end up being a rose tail too as for now, he looks like a bicolour dragon scale hm

as for keeping him entertained, i agree with ghel and you could add in some floaters if you haven't already.

Upvote 0

AngelicDaydreams

He looks like a halfmoon to me as well! My halfmoon female likes to chase laser lights (like the little red dots that people use to play with cats), so you could try that around feeding time so he associates it with food and doesn’t get bored of the chase? These other suggestions are very good; my only other addition would be varying his diet to include live foods such as daphnia, but I’ve never used those personally - it just seems like it might help based on what I’ve read, since bettas are carnivores and like to hunt. My halfmoon plakat female caught a (drowned) fruit fly and has been stalking the tank in search of more ever since.

Upvote 0

addyalaska

Looks like a halfmoon to me. Yhe spiky bit could be from tail biting, fin rot is usually white. Give him some time and see if it heals.
There are other ways to keep a betta entertained. Floating a pingpong ball for him to push around, changing the decorations every now and then, even adding a small snail as a tankmate might keep him entertained.
yeah, i’m pretty sure it’s not fin rot, since the big chunk he took out of his tail is finally starting to grow back!

anything that comes into his tank he flares at... i have an air plant that gets watered by floating in water, so i put it on his tank so he could check it out, but he just attacked it i’ll see about getting a ping-pong ball or something but he might just attack it haha
He looks like a halfmoon to me as well! My halfmoon female likes to chase laser lights (like the little red dots that people use to play with cats), so you could try that around feeding time so he associates it with food and doesn’t get bored of the chase? These other suggestions are very good; my only other addition would be varying his diet to include live foods such as daphnia, but I’ve never used those personally - it just seems like it might help based on what I’ve read, since bettas are carnivores and like to hunt. My halfmoon plakat female caught a (drowned) fruit fly and has been stalking the tank in search of more ever since.

the laser is a great idea!! i’m not sure if i’ll be able to incorporate live food into his diet regularly, but i’ll definitely look into it. i’m sure he’d love the hunt

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

You can train him to eat frozen live foods from tongs or your finger.

Upvote 0

tapwater

Agreed. I'd try to reduce the mirror usage a bit if I'm being honest. With my betta I'll only do it every once in a while. Most of the time I just run my finger around the tank and he follows it, and he seems decently entertained by that. You could probably try that too. Also while I'm doing water tests I'll let my betta inspect the dropper I use to get water from the tank, and let him chase it around a bit sometimes. He's on my desk, so it's pretty easy to also let him watch me do the tests too, and doing other things. Arranging decorations / objects outside of your tank that your betta can look at from afar might also be some good enrichment too.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BellaFriedrick
  • Question
Replies
Views
emilijad
Replies
Views