Betta Ich?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Buganjimo, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Buganjimo

Buganjimo Well Known Member Member

So my betta has always had good fins but i just noticed a white patch on his fin that I'm a little worried about so here's a picture [​IMG] idk if you can see it but it is flat so it might not be but i just wanted to make sure

2. vijay3242

vijay3242 Well Known Member Member

Could you get a better picture please it is hard to see any white spot.

3. swordtail123

swordtail123 Valued Member Member

Is the patch sort of fluffy ?
    Or is there just one pin size spot?

4. adh/smile

adh/smile Well Known Member Member

It's hard to tell if there is any white from the picture you gave us. Could you please, if it's possible, give us another one to look at?
    Is your betta behaving normally? Eating, swimming, rubbing against objects in the tank, etc....?
    What is the tamp in the tank?

5. OP
    OP
    Buganjimo

The temp is 78 he acting normal. He is a bum and he likes to move as soon as go to take a picture. It is a small flat white spot. I will update if the (flat) spot get bigger or spreads. If it IS flat what would you say about it? Is it ich?

6. adh/smile

Well, I've never actually HAD ich on any of my fish so what I know is just what I've read. I think your betta could have ich but what I've read made it sound like there would be more, smaller white speckles rather than one flat white spot. Are you sure it isn't fuzzy or your betta's natural coloring?

7. Cycerath

Cycerath Valued Member Member

as someone who is currently dealing with ich and treating it, if it looks like grains of salt then it's most likely ich.

Attached Files:

8. adh/smile

I'm sorry to hear that your fish have ich! That is a good analogy that salt like white spots most likely means ich. What are you doing to treat your ich? I read that a epsom salt bath, a raise in temp, and twice a week vacuuming to get the ich spores will cure it within a week. But I also recently read that way wouldn't work. Is there any opinion on that. Maybe this isn't the right place to ask this question either. Sorry if it's not!!!

9. Cycerath

i have ich in two tanks atm. 10 gallon is currently doing heat/salt treatment. 3 gallon is using Kordon rid ich. my male betta in the 3 gallon only had a few spots but 24hrs after using kordon rid ich i couldn't see any more spots on him but i have to continue his treatment till tuesday according to the instructions. my female betta got worst on day 2 (the picture above) but i'm on day 3 now and only a few spots remain now.

10. Cycerath

for heat/salt i added 3tsp/gallon, 1tsp/gallon added every 12-24hrs till i got to that level. on say 2 i lowered it to 2tsp/gallon (rounded tsp) cause i was afraid of over stressing my fish. raised temp to 89-90F for the first 3-4 days. need to raise the temp only 1-2 degrees every 1-3 hours and watch fish closely to see how they respond. after 3-4 days i'm going to lower the temp to 86-87F and continue at that temp till it's been treated for a total of 2 weeks. i currently do water changes daily with a gravel vacuum about 20-40% but some have said they do it every 2-3 days, i just wanted to err on the side of caution.

the downside to the rid ich medication is the dye, it stained the sponge i have in my filter blue because of it and i've heard (but not experienced) some plastic can be stained using it too.

11. iamclaire

iamclaire Valued Member Member

I've had great success with the heat method. Raise the temp 2 degrees every couple hours. If the betta is the only fish in the tank, you can take it all the way up to 90 degrees. Leave it there until the spores have fallen off, then every day lower it a couple degrees. Works every time.

12. swordtail123

Just saying you should act fast, itch multiples extremely fast and once the fish is covered it would be a miracle for you to save it. You should also use itch medication (which you can easily find on ebay if you don't own any) I also recommend increasing the temperature of the water like people above me, this shortens the parasites lifecycle so it can be killed more quickly by the medication.

13. Cycerath

just make sure to read the directions for ich meds carefully and follow instructions as closely as possible, some you can't use with heat treatment.

14. OP
    OP
    Buganjimo

So it's very flat on Yazi (my HMPK) but I can't really see it on the other side. Mabey he's marbling? (Very Unlikely but mabey?) what is the difference between ick and ich?

15. swordtail123

There is no difference it is just a variation of the one word

16. Cycerath

just keep a close eye on him, see if there's any odd behavior or damage to his fins/body. it could just be marbling or if he's new it could just be his color coming back. if your really worried you could do the bare minimum for a week or 2, like adding a little aquarium salt 1tsp per 5 gallons and raising the temp to 86f. you could consider it preventative but i wouldn't keep those conditions up for more then 2 weeks tops.

17. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

If his fins start to have damage it is not ich but fin rot.
    If more white spots come up you should use the heat method, I would not dose salt, just heat. And I would bring the heat up to 86-88 Farenheit, I would personally push it a little bit more with Bettas and go 88 Farenheit or so. Ich wont kill your fish so dont worry, my tiger barbs probably had ich for 2-3 weeks before I was 100% sure they had ich and started treating and they are still alive lol.
    Whenever I have treated with heat I have never done the 2 weeks, usually everything dissapears in 2-4 days, but if I had a Betta I would keep it for at least a week because the fish can easily take those temps (I have corydoras Paleatus and pygmeus so the less heat the better, thats why I never did 2 weeks).
    Even tho Bettas can breath air I would add an airstone as warmer water holds less oxygen.

18. Cycerath

i think most people suggest 2 weeks as a precaution, even if the spots disappear it can stay in the gils or mouth out of sight. if there's any ich eggs left in the substrate there's a chance it can relapse and i've heard it's worse if it comes back. if it's just the betta in the tank then it shouldn't (i assume, correct me if i'm wrong) hurt them to keep it up for 2 weeks just to make sure it won't come back. personally i don't plan on risking it by stopping after a week but success can vary greatly for everyone.

19. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I know 2 weeks is used as a precaution and it is probably the best according to the books and what I would generally suggest but I have never had any problems by just keeping it for 2-4 days after all spots disappear. Of course I only do it because they are my fish and I know them and how they react to ich, if I were to treat someone's else fish I would go the book way.
    Soooo... I agree with you, with bettas I would crank it up to 88 and keep it there for 2 weeks but as I said I keep some Cory's which prefer 22-26 so the less time they are at 30 the better, specially if it has already worked for me twice.

20. OP
    OP
    Buganjimo

Ok thx I'll keep an eye out

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice