Betta Hiding, Spitting Out Food

sea-potato

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My betta fish has not had a proper meal for 10 days. He hides all day except in the morning when he wants me to feed him. I have been offering him 3 different brands of pellets (dry and presoaked) but he spits them out. I gave him a bit of pea the other day in case he was still constipated from eating an algae wafer and he actually ate that. I decided to give a try with frozen bloodworms today and he completely ignored them. I dropped in a bit of algae wafer and he picked at it so he obviously wants to eat. He's supposed to be an insectivore, not a vegetarian! I am at a loss now. He looks skinny from above and he used to be so energetic. My snail and ghost shrimp are thriving though.

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
sea-potato said:
My betta fish has not had a proper meal for 10 days. He hides all day except in the morning when he wants me to feed him. I have been offering him 3 different brands of pellets (dry and presoaked) but he spits them out. I gave him a bit of pea the other day in case he was still constipated from eating an algae wafer and he actually ate that. I decided to give a try with frozen bloodworms today and he completely ignored them. I dropped in a bit of algae wafer and he picked at it so he obviously wants to eat. He's supposed to be an insectivore, not a vegetarian! I am at a loss now. He looks skinny from above and he used to be so energetic. My snail and ghost shrimp are thriving though.
I have a betta that was just like that. I was just as concerned as you are. Sometimes bettas spit out the pellets and eat them again. It helps them chew it up. It will eat when it once to. Another thing is make sure you use atleast pellets and bloodworms for treats.Feeding them different kinds of food because you are afraid they dont like the food is not right. Get the betta used to one type of food. Plus sometimes when you are not looking they will pick at leftovers on the gravel.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
there isnt anything wrong with feeding different types of food. it usually helps to keep them from being picky and from being bored of their food. i feed my betta 3 different foods as well. try soaking the pellets with garlic

sea-potato

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BettaFishKeeper4302 said:
I have a betta that was just like that. I was just as concerned as you are. Sometimes bettas spit out the pellets and eat them again. It helps them chew it up. It will eat when it once to. Another thing is make sure you use atleast pellets and bloodworms for treats.Feeding them different kinds of food because you are afraid they dont like the food is not right. Get the betta used to one type of food. Plus sometimes when you are not looking they will pick at leftovers on the gravel.
I didn't start out giving him a bunch of different food. I was mainly feeding him Aqueon pellets and then freeze dried worms as treats. Then I started feeding him NorthFin pellets as I read that they are better quality and don't swell as much. I've been trying new foods since he's been rejecting everything lately.

sea-potato

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JamieXPXP said:
there isnt anything wrong with feeding different types of food. it usually helps to keep them from being picky and from being bored of their food. i feed my betta 3 different foods as well. try soaking the pellets with garlic
Do I just soak them in the juice of minced garlic?

sea-potato

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JamieXPXP said:
Yep just soak them in the garlic juice. Hopefully it will get him to eat
It didn't work this time. Maybe it's just too late in the day now. I'll try again tomorrow morning.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sea-potato said:
It didn't work this time. Maybe it's just too late in the day now. I'll try again tomorrow morning.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you out. Keep us updated!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom