Help Betta Help

hollynp

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 20 gallon tropical community tank with a few cories, some white cloud Minnows, and a betta. Tank has been established over a year, the betta and minnows are the original fish.

I’ve noticed over the past few weeks I catch my betta on the bottom a lot, I assume he’s just resting so I haven’t paid that much attention. Have been busy and haven’t sat and watched the fish like I usually do. He still comes up for food and air, but then goes right back down. Watched him for a little while tonight, and he seems to have trouble staying upright? It’s almost like his tail and top fin are too heavy for him and pull him down/over if that makes sense. He’s swimming up for air, grabs a bite of food, then kind of fall swims to the bottom where he finds a piece of decoration to lean against. If nothing supports him he ends up mostly on his side. Any ideas?

Not sure if it matters, but a few times now I’ve caught my cat fishing for my anacharis plants. She’s pulled a few pieces out and has ruined a lot of them. I’ve fixed the tank where she can’t get her paws in any more. None of the other fish are acting strange, I assumed if she was the problem it would affect everyone?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 20 gallon tropical community tank with a few cories, some white cloud Minnows, and a betta. Tank has been established over a year, the betta and minnows are the original fish.

I’ve noticed over the past few weeks I catch my betta on the bottom a lot, I assume he’s just resting so I haven’t paid that much attention. Have been busy and haven’t sat and watched the fish like I usually do. He still comes up for food and air, but then goes right back down. Watched him for a little while tonight, and he seems to have trouble staying upright? It’s almost like his tail and top fin are too heavy for him and pull him down/over if that makes sense. He’s swimming up for air, grabs a bite of food, then kind of fall swims to the bottom where he finds a piece of decoration to lean against. If nothing supports him he ends up mostly on his side. Any ideas?

Not sure if it matters, but a few times now I’ve caught my cat fishing for my anacharis plants. She’s pulled a few pieces out and has ruined a lot of them. I’ve fixed the tank where she can’t get her paws in any more. None of the other fish are acting strange, I assumed if she was the problem it would affect everyone?
Can you fill out the stock fish template and copy/ paste it back here? It'll give his an idea what's been going on the last few months with your tank. Thanks:
Fish Emergency Template

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I notice that you have a problem with your stocking. White cloud mountain minnows are coldwater fish while bettas are tropical fish, they are not temperature compatible and shouldn't be kept together.

Can you post a video of this happening? Some bettas often have trouble swimming due to how heavily finned they are and it causes them to sink. Or they can have a issue with their swim bladder which causes bouyancy problems.

hollynp

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 20 gallon
How long has the tank been running? About a year and a half
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 77-78 degrees F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Betta, 5 White Cloud Mountain minnows, 2 cories, 3 khulis. I am aware of the stocking issues, learned it from here a few months after I started my tank. Can’t find any store that will buy back the fish I have to help me get stocking correct. Can’t bring myself to euthanize them as they seem healthy and while not in ideal circumstances, not ill either.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Weekly
How much of the water do you change? 25-50% depending on if I have a lot of plant detritus or algae clogging it up
What do you use to treat your water? prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”. PH about 7.5. Ammonia reads at 0. Nitrites 0. Nitrates between 0 and 5, it’s darker than the 0 but not quite to the orangey color of 5.0

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Daily but usually skip a day a week
How much do you feed your fish? Small pinch
What brand of food do you feed your fish? API tropical flakes and api bottom feeder pellets
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Long as I’ve had the tank
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Month or so
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Staying on bottom, lying on side a lot
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No, doesn’t appear to be “ill”, slime coat and fins look healthy
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Used to be more active and would hold himself up during the day when resting, now he always falls over even when trying to eat

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now) see above

hollynp

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a video of the Bettas behavior but I’m not sure how to attach it here

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom