Betta Help

KaliWali

New Member
Messages
13
Reaction score
3
Points
3
Experience
3 years
Sorry if in the wrong thread.
I have a 50 gallon tank stocked with 6 cherry barbs.
The other night I got a frantic call from a friend about his betta that had been quite badly bullied by other fish in his tank, where half the poor things tail has been completely ripped off.
He hastily removed the betta from the tank before the poor thing was torn to shreds but had nowhere to put it and so asked if he could house it in my tank to recover while he sorted another tank for it.
I've grown very fond of the little guy and thinking of keeping him.
He seems to be doing well now but I have never kept a betta and need some help.

Is there anything I can do to help his recovery?
Although there seems to be no problems between the betta and my cherry barbs, I know that barbs can get quite nippy. Is he OK in there for the long term? Or should I be looking to get him his own tank?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
 

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Messages
1,090
Reaction score
387
Points
73
Experience
More than 10 years
KaliWali said:
Sorry if in the wrong thread.
I have a 50 gallon tank stocked with 6 cherry barbs.
The other night I got a frantic call from a friend about his betta that had been quite badly bullied by other fish in his tank, where half the poor things tail has been completely ripped off.
He hastily removed the betta from the tank before the poor thing was torn to shreds but had nowhere to put it and so asked if he could house it in my tank to recover while he sorted another tank for it.
I've grown very fond of the little guy and thinking of keeping him.
He seems to be doing well now but I have never kept a betta and need some help.

Is there anything I can do to help his recovery?
Although there seems to be no problems between the betta and my cherry barbs, I know that barbs can get quite nippy. Is he OK in there for the long term? Or should I be looking to get him his own tank?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
It's always going to depend on the agggression and nature of the other fish. I have. Bett in a 55 gallon tank with 5 grown angelfish, 6 redeye tetras, 4 cories. My betta has never been bothered by any other fish. In your tank, he may be fine. Keep a watch on him to make sure he doesn't develop any sores, white spots, or anything that looks like fungus. It will simply take time for him to recover from the fin shredding, but as long as he doesn't get sick, there is no treatment needed as long as you keep your water perameters good and clean.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

KaliWali

New Member
Messages
13
Reaction score
3
Points
3
Experience
3 years
Sorry, I meant a 10 gallon!! Not 50

finnipper59 said:
It's always going to depend on the agggression and nature of the other fish. I have. Bett in a 55 gallon tank with 5 grown angelfish, 6 redeye tetras, 4 cories. My betta has never been bothered by any other fish. In your tank, he may be fine. Keep a watch on him to make sure he doesn't develop any sores, white spots, or anything that looks like fungus. It will simply take time for him to recover from the fin shredding, but as long as he doesn't get sick, there is no treatment needed as long as you keep your water perameters good and clean.
He is in much better form than he was the night I got him.
I will keep an eye on him over the next couple weeks to make sure he is still OK.
Parameters are all fine, did a water change this morning too.
Fingers crossed for him
Thanks for the reply
 

sleow

Valued Member
Messages
180
Reaction score
116
Points
88
Experience
5 years
KaliWali said:
Sorry, I meant a 10 gallon!! Not 50
10g might be a bit tight, so make sure to keep up with the water quality, as bad water will make the bettas injuries infinitely worse. I'd probably do small daily water changes.
Just keep a close eye on the barbs that they're leaving the betta alone and vice versa. If possible, add some extra plants in the tank so the betta can hide and rest.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

KaliWali

New Member
Messages
13
Reaction score
3
Points
3
Experience
3 years
sleow said:
10g might be a bit tight, so make sure to keep up with the water quality, as bad water will make the bettas injuries infinitely worse. I'd probably do small daily water changes.
Just keep a close eye on the barbs that they're leaving the betta alone and vice versa. If possible, add some extra plants in the tank so the betta can hide and rest.
Tank is planted with anubias and has a good number of hiding places with caves and tunnels etc.
He tends to hide in behind the anubias at times but also seems quite happy to swim about the place too.
Good idea with the daily water changes, will do small ones until I'm confident he has recovered well.
Thanks
 

sleow

Valued Member
Messages
180
Reaction score
116
Points
88
Experience
5 years
KaliWali said:
Tank is planted with anubias and has a good number of hiding places with caves and tunnels etc.
He tends to hide in behind the anubias at times but also seems quite happy to swim about the place too.
Good idea with the daily water changes, will do small ones until I'm confident he has recovered well.
Thanks
Good sign that he's swimming around! Hope he heals nicely!
 

GreekGills

Valued Member
Messages
429
Reaction score
168
Points
63
Experience
Just started
My betta bites his tail sometimes, clean water and a healthy mixed diet will help with healing
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom