Betta Help Please

1. Z

Zhuntress Initiate Member

This is what is left of my poor bettas tail. We have him in a 10 gallon tank and started with getting him just 1 live plant after reading bettas love them. We wanted to see how he liked it and he loved it so we bought him 3 more. He was so happy at first diving right into them, swimming all over and displaying his beautiful fins like never before. About 5 days later he disappeared and wouldn’t come out of his skull not even to eat. When I was able to get him out during a water change I noticed what you see in the picture, his tail is gone and is eating into his body. I quickly put fresh water in his 2 gallon tank and transferred him then hit the pet store where they gave me furan-2 and told me it should clear him up. Well I am into the 2nd round and he is still hanging at the bottom of the tank,not eating, he now has a blue sore like spot by his gill on the left side (I tried getting a pic but didn’t want to stress him out anymore). I don’t know what else to do. I am doing about 40 percent water changes daily and have him back in the 10 gallon, the air stone and/or filter was stressing him way too much in the 2 gallon - he doesn’t like all the motion in his tank. Please can someone help me save my baby?

Attached Files:

2. AZrodeo92

AZrodeo92 Well Known Member Member

Peroxide now! Estimate how many physical gallons of water actually in your 10 gallon tank. Then use half a teaspoon for every 5 gallons of water in the tank

Be very careful because it is easy to overdose and kill your fish

3. TheCrazyFishGuy

TheCrazyFishGuy Well Known Member Member

Sounds like finrot which is quickly turning to bodyrot. Use something like melafix. I wouldn’t suggest peroxide just because you can easily od your fish with it

4. AZrodeo92

Don't use melafix with bettas. Many studies have been done to suggest that it does more harm than good. Also melafix treats mild issues, this is too progressed.

Peroxide is something that the OP probably has laying around the house and will give immediate relief until they can get to the store.

If the fin frot or reaches the body then the fish most likely cannot be saved

When the OP had a chance she should get Maracyn 1 and and use then in succession as directed. I couldn't fine any here so I had to order from Amazon

5. Paradise fish

Paradise fish Well Known Member Member

Did you cycle your tank? And for the Peroxide treatment, the dosage is 1-3 ml per volume of water. Not tank size.

6. TheCrazyFishGuy

I didn’t realize that melafix was harmful to bettas. My bad :( If/When your betta begins to recover (correct me if I’m wrong) but a little bit of Stress Coat or something I believe will speed up the healing process

7. AZrodeo92

Adding stress coat to the water as a dechlorinator will also help with the Slime code which is the fish's natural immune system that supposed to stick to and grab any harmful bacteria. It is also a very mild treatment. This fish is very very progressed in his illness and need a very aggressive treatment or else he will probably die within a couple days

8. OP
    OP
    Z

It has definitely reached his body and I have been battling this for a week with him trying to save him. It is eating away at his tail end. If I transfer him back to the 2 gallon tank and do the peroxide, what else should I do with it? Should I completely stop the Furan-2?

9. AZrodeo92

When you get a chance we need to know your water parameters. This means your ammonia level, nitrates, nitrites, pH, temperature, and how often and how large of water changes you're doing

The peroxide treats against bacteria, parasites, and fungal infections. It worked in the water for about 2 hours before turning into distilled water.

10. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

I have to agree with the peroxide approach. Melifix is basically tree sap and will not help at this point.

11. AZrodeo92

Don't stress him by transferring him even more, if I were you I would just assume there are probably only seven and a half or eight gallons of water in my fish tank, do a water change with dechlorinator and immediately treat with the peroxide

Hey @david1978 I think you taught me about the peroxide! Saved many bettas with it! I mow have 9 males and 11 females

12. OP
    OP
    Z

Would I be better off putting him in his 2 gallon tank with fresh water and just the peroxide? If I leave him in the 10 gallon should I do 100% water change? I am so lost but I really don't want to lose him. We were wanting to make him happy by getting him plants and it's turning out to kill him. The plants I tossed and everything in his tank are fake plants and his favorite hiding places.

13. TheCrazyFishGuy

I clearly didn’t realize how much I didn’t know about treating stuff like this, I’ll go do more research and stuff to keep from giving less helpful answers

14. david1978

Its amazing stuff and breaks down into harmless compounds.

15. AZrodeo92

Because it's only A2 gallon tank I would be concerned with overdosing. But that's you taking your own risk. I'm just saying that he probably would benefit from some really fresh clean water without the treatment that you were doing before adding a new aggressive treatment.

Honestly the plants probably weren't the problem, he might have had a very weak immune system to begin with and fin rot can simply be caused with poor water conditions. I'm not sure how much you know about fish before you started this, but there are a few things that need to be known that are not often common knowledge. Cycling your tank is one of the most important, it's also something that people who have never had fish before and don't ask questions don't usually know about. I would say that fin rot, dropsy, and tank cycling are the three most common topics on this forum. The plants were actually very beneficial for him, but plants also need to be quarantined to make sure they don't carry diseases

16. david1978

I would do a 50% water change in the 10 since water quality is unknown. Then dose for about 8 gallons.

17. OP
    OP
    Z

Ok - thank you so much for the advice. I use bottled distilled water and have always added Start Right when I do water changes. I am going to head to the store now for more water and fresh peroxide, what I have is about 6 months old. I will look for the dechlorinator and praying they have it. I have had to order a lot of stuff from Amazon. Thank you I really appreciate all the advice and will definitely keep you posted. We love this little guy and I have been in tears over this the past week.

18. AZrodeo92

Don't use distilled water with fish. If anything use spring water or just regular tap water with dechlorinator. When you're using distilled water you're depriving your fish of all the vitamins and nutrients that are in the hard water that is boiled out of distilled water. When you go buy test strips and you test your tank parameters also test your tap water and see if it's a good water source. Then you don't have to buy water bottles and your fish has all of the hard water that it generally needs. If you're uncertain about tap water and chemicals you can add a little bag of zeolite to the tank. I add it to mine and my fish seem to really like it it doesn't bother them at all. I often find them nipping little bits of algae growing off of The

19. dwarfpufferlover

dwarfpufferlover Well Known Member Member

Not to put anyone off OP's issue, but does seachem's stress guard cure/prevent further fin rot? I picked it up because it looked like one of the only invert safe 'medications'

20. OP
    OP
    Z

I have had several bettas thru the years and never had issues before. Our little guy never had any issues until we put the plants in, they were the only different thing and shortly after is when he became sick. We have had him for a year already and he has been fine until now.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted