Betta help! Half of her face is eaten away….

PinkNGlitters

My girl developed a white thing growing on her face… I treated her with kanaplex which made
The white thing went away… now half of her upper lip in gone and one side of her face is really messed up… I’m not sure what’s going on…. Her water is clean… no live plants… she’s eating fine and has lots of energy still… I also noticed today after 3 doses of kanaplex that there is jelly like substance at the corner of my tank… bacteria bloom? Please help… I don’t want to lose my girl! Third picture is of the white thingy that disappeared after kanaplex.

Attachments

• D938F0F6-786F-48EE-8269-8371769C7636.png
    D938F0F6-786F-48EE-8269-8371769C7636.png
    866.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 717D205C-7FF4-43B6-B87D-EEFB037C5D1D.png
    717D205C-7FF4-43B6-B87D-EEFB037C5D1D.png
    767.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 6D69CF16-37ED-43B8-825F-2E3DE0C7227A.png
    6D69CF16-37ED-43B8-825F-2E3DE0C7227A.png
    870.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 0FB71E45-D2D4-49F6-8351-BB591A92A8D7.png
    0FB71E45-D2D4-49F6-8351-BB591A92A8D7.png
    760 KB · Views: 9

OutsideFoodBlob

I’m sorry this is happening to your fish friend. Is she still able to eat? Swimming and behavior?

It’s really helpful to fill out the emergency template. It will help in terms of advice and recommendations for your specific situation.

PinkNGlitters

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 2 gallon
How long has the tank been running? 6 months
Does it have a filter? Sponge filter
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 79F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? Just a girl betta

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Weekly
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? She’s in Crystal Geyser bottled water.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I vacuum and water change.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
What do you use to test the water?
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice daily
How much do you feed your fish? 1-2 pallets each feeding.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hikari bio gold
Do you feed frozen? No
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 2 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 2 weeks
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? I noticed her face area started looking a little translucent… next day the white thing appears and got bigger.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? I gave her 3 doses of kanaplex. And a little betta fix.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? The white thing disappeared but half
Her upper upper lip is gone and that side of her face seems beat up… looks like they flesh was eaten away. She’s eating still and has lots of
Energy still.

Rose of Sharon

Hi,

Sorry about your little girl!

Since the white stuff is gone, it will be hard to tell if it was fungus or a disease called columnaris. If you are still seeing issues, it may be columnaris, which would mean some extra treatment may be necessary.

There's a lot of info on columnaris if you want to do some research.

A standard treatment for columnaris, which is a bacterial infection, is a combination of kanaplex and something like API Furan - 2, which has an ingredient/med called nitrofurazone.

You can also use aquarium salt. Follow the instructions on the package, and be mindful of how much water you change so you will know how much aquarium salt to add back. Aquarium salt can only be removed by doing water changes, and you wouldn't want to accidentally over dose the tank.

I would change 50% of her water every other day, and do a third round of treatment with the kanaplex combined with the Furan-2 if you can get it.

Usually these issues are due to poor water quality. In a 2 gallon tank, especially one that was not cycled, then doing water changes every other day would not take a lot of time, and would keep your betta's water pristine.

I hope this helps and I hope she gets better!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Boostr
Replies
Views
oliviawilliam2017
Replies
Views
Sien
Replies
Views