Betta Help! Fin Rot And Diamond Eye? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Rtessy, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Not my Betta, I'm giving him a tank upgrade then back to the owner he goes...
    I'm pretty sure he has finrot, does it look severe enough to start treating with kanaplex, or should I try daily water changes instead?
    Also, I believe he has begun to develop diamond eye, can anyone confirm or deny? His eyes got cloudy a few days after I moved him to a new 5 gallon (not cycled, but his dinky 1 gallon didn't have a filter or anything), (drip acclimatio for an hour), they were only cloudy for two days but I'm worried it triggered the development of diamond eye. Other than tannins, is there anything that helps, thanks.
    Also, currently I do not know the parameters because I'm cycling with TSS+ but I dropped in a cherry shrimp as a sort of canary (cruel, I know) and it's still doing fine so I assume they can't be that bad.

Attached Files:

2. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

yeah That’s fin rot looks minor though do at least 25% water changes medicine is good too. Don’t know much about diamond eye but if it develops further make him a permeant home so he knows where everything is you can also set up a bamboo skewer with a water bottle ring and put his food in that and set up some signal so he knows he’s being fed like tapping lightly on the glass

3. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

Great, thank you! Would 50% water changes help more or be too stressful? And thanks for the idea about a feeding spot, I was wondering about that, it's a great idea

4. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

I think 50 would be ok you would have to see what he prefers

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Doing water changes will mess up the TSS+, but I think water changes would be better than not doing them. You can do daily 50% water changes to help with the finrot. This will also help keep water parameters in check while it cycles. If you want to use bottled bacteria, you can use Stability while doing water changes.

6. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

Sorry, I realize I put very little information, today is day 11 for the TSS and I just tested, and dang ammonia is at .5, I do have some nitrates though and no nitrites, so it seems to have cycled somewhat at least. I'll try the water changes, should I try dosing kanaplex at the same time, or should I get ammonia down then dose?

7. TexasDomer

I wouldn't dose with an antibiotic. I would do daily water changes of 50% to cure the fin rot.

8. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

Thank you! How long is a good time estimate for the 50% daily changes, around 2 weeks? Longer or shorter? Also what are some warning signs to look for if something starts to go wrong?

9. TexasDomer

I'd do this for a few weeks. If he doesn't improve after that or it gets much worse, then I'd consider using an antibiotic.

10. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

I've been doing 50% daily, but it's still getting worse.... should I keep up with the water changes or try and medicate? Also, it's definitely diamond eye because it keeps spreading... someone is not going to be happy when I give them their fish back :oops:

Attached Files:

11. TexasDomer

There's nothing you can do if it's just diamond eye - not your fault.

Could he be fin nipping? It doesn't look worse everywhere, just in a few spots.

12. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

I've never observed him fin nipping, and I feel like I've watched him enough, but I can't really be sure. It's still white/black at the edges, and I think the fin rot is only on the tail fin, he's just got weirdly curved fins on the rest, but supposedly he'd been like that since the owner got him.

13. TexasDomer

I'd say rearrange the decor, add some more, and continue with the daily changes. If it's still getting worse in a few days, a good medication may be needed. You can also dab some hydrogen peroxide on the infected parts of his fin.

14. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

How many days until I try to medicate? Sorry I'm just extra worried because he's not mine.... Also the only decor is live plants, most rooted, but I can add in some more anacharis if you think that will help

15. TexasDomer

I like to test all possible options before medicating, so I'd personally go another week of the daily water changes. If that makes you uncomfortable, you could treat sooner.

Anacharis won't hurt, and it might give him more places to explore since you're changing up his environment.

16. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

Thank you, I'll try a few more days of water changes, but if it keeps getting worse, is kanaplex safe for bettas? It's just something I have on hand, and I read it's good for fin rot, but I'm open to any better/safer medication options.

17. TexasDomer

It should be safe for bettas, as far as I'm aware.

18. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

Dang, his dorsal is entirely ripped, I have no idea what happened, and the finrot started to spread to the anal fin and took up all of the tail fin, so I'm going to go ahead and dose kanaplex today.

19. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

Dang I need some serious help asap please! It spread to his body through the dorsal. The dorsal just ripped three days ago and is now in terrible shape and the flesh near is is all pink/white.

Attached Files:

20. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

Well, I have to say that I have made an error on my part. Long story short, none of my tanks have carbon so I was used to only putting in carbon to remove meds...
    Hopefully it will all go well now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice