Betta help! Favoring fish?

gabycore

My betta fish seems to be favoring one of his tank mates over the other. He is perfectly content with one but as soon as the other gets close, he immediately chases him away. What should I do to stop this? It's only the first day that they've been together but I'm beginning to worry. The newest is the one that has been getting harassed.

^^ EDIT: THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN SOLVED ^^
I have removed the platies from my betta's tank and put them in another. Thank you to all who has replied to my concerns thus far.

PlantedCommunityTank132

maybe its because he's new, and the others feel like the boss. I think you just have to wait a bit longer and see how it goes. is he fin nipping or anything?

gabycore

maybe its because he's new, and the others feel like the boss. I think you just have to wait a bit longer and see how it goes. is he fin nipping or anything?
He isn't, just a lot of fish chasing. I've noticed, however, that the newest chases the other one of it's kind. Could the betta be protecting it perhaps?

SuspiciouslyFishy

What size of tank is it? What species are the tank mates?

WRWAquarium

Multiple male Bettas in one tank?

FoldedCheese

Unfortunately this is why bettas aren't good community fish for beginners. They are naturally aggressive and territorial. Even if they seem peaceful at first they can sometimes snap and decide they do not want any other fish in their territory anymore. When it comes to stocking bettas should always be added last, so by adding new fish you might have disrupted the tank dynamics thus making him aggressive towards the new fish. I would keep an eye on it but there is a chance he might not calm down or get used to the new fish in which case you'll have to separate him.

gabycore

What size of tank is it? What species are the tank mates?
Sorry for the late reply. Ten gallons, mickey mouse platies, male plakat betta.
Multiple male Bettas in one tank?
Of course not.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Alejandro
  • Question
Replies
Views
mrsP
  • Question