Betta Has White Spots And Risen Scales!!!

Han

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi there,
My betta fish has raised scales on only one side of his face and 2 white spots on the same area of his face! It gives the impression that one side of his face is swollen.
When I first noticed, I thought it was a cut, but I don't think so upon further inspection.
I only noticed this a few minutes ago. I think it has only recently developed.

I should mention that he has been recovering from fin rot [grrrrrrrrrr] but was basically back to his old self and his fins had grown out a bit.

He has had no loss of appetite and has been swimming around well.

Only recent change to his tank was I put in a giant Indian Almond leaf... I have used one before and it was fine, so I don't see how this could have been the cause. I also increased how many plants were in his tank but that was a couple of months ago.

suggestions? please?

Lauren McBride

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi there,
My betta fish has raised scales on only one side of his face and 2 white spots on the same area of his face! It gives the impression that one side of his face is swollen.
When I first noticed, I thought it was a cut, but I don't think so upon further inspection.

I should mention that he has been recovering from fin rot [grrrrrrrrrr] but was basically back to his old self and his fins had grown out a bit.

Only recent change to his tank was I put in a giant Indian Almond leaf... I have used one before and it was fine, so I don't see how this could have been the cause. I also increased how many plants were in his tank but that was a couple of months ago.

suggestions? please?
Do you have a picture?

AlphaRomeo

Reaction score
Hi there,

suggestions? please?
Your betta might have dropsy...idk. But the risen scales sends up red flags, definitely sounds like dropsy to me. As for the white spots, they might be Ich. If you post some pics it would be easier to diagnose. If it does have dropsy and Ich, you'l need an antibiotic. Please email an exotic pet vet and send pics. They would be better able to help you reach a diagnosis and find a treatment that is appropriate for your fish. You might also be able to take your fish directly to that vet with a sample of water.

Han

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It is really impossible to get a clear photo at all....you can see the white but the scales don't really show on this side of the photo.
I have pimafix on hand but I don't know if that would be helpful or not.
There is only one exotic pet vet in the county I live in...I know that it would be insanely expensive to take him there. But I wish I could.

Attachments

Han

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Here's the best photo I could get...the white spots are "3D" so to speak...they aren't just marks, they stand out. I think we're dealing with a bacterial infection here....

Attachments

gracerig

Reaction score
The white dots look like ich cysts to me. Slowly raising the water temperature to 86°F for several days and adding a bit of aquarium salt will kill the ich and help fight off the infection. Keep an eye out for any behavior changes or the appearance of new dots.

AlphaRomeo

Reaction score
Here's the best photo I could get...the white spots are "3D" so to speak...they aren't just marks, they stand out. I think we're dealing with a bacterial infection here....
Hey there, great pic and beautiful fish! It definitely looks like ich but I wouldn't use aquarium salt, all the vets warn against it, you can buy an Ich treatment at the pet store or online. If you do add some salt be sure to only add a tiny bit. The medicine should work though, the vet charged me a ton for mine but the stuff at the pet store should work too.
Screenshot_20180226-080340.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom