Betta has white flakes on head for a while

Galethemo

Reaction score
Hello, I have a betta fish that is 1 year and 6 months old on April 26, 2020. He has these white flakes on his head that have been there for at least a month I would say, but I didn't say anything at first because I thought they were scales falling off. Today and in the past week, I found out that he's losing a lot of whatever those white flakes are. I've had another betta fish in the past that might have had the same problem, but he past away because of his age before it got too bad. (1 year and 5 months). They both are males who lived in a 5 gallon tank alone. My current betta fish, Crimson, also has been getting 'lazy' and more tired easily. He sleeps a lot, and sometimes, when he sees me, he'll greet me. Other than that, he sleeps on his plant leaf and 'leaf hammock'. Thanks in advance. *I attached a photo of Junior, my previous betta fish, of what he had on his head. Note that Crimson's head has more flakes, maybe 2 or 3 times the size of flakes on his head on the same side - I couldn't get a picture of Crimson.
IMG_0531.JPG

Timo2015

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Can you describe the flakes a bit more? If they look like cotton it might be fungus, or if they look like grains of salt it might be ich, although those infections don't typically linger for a month...

Bettas do often change color, but a red fish suddenly developing white flecks sounds very unusual to me.

OP
G

Galethemo

Reaction score
Timo2015 said:
Can you describe the flakes a bit more? If they look like cotton it might be fungus, or if they look like grains of salt it might be ich, although those infections don't typically linger for a month...

Bettas do often change color, but a red fish suddenly developing white flecks sounds very unusual to me.
I’m pretty sure it’s not Ich. Today when I looked at him, it’s a mix of whitish brownish/really dark red. It was flakes like cotton, but now it’s more like skin. Is this a sign of healing that happened really fast?

New Threads