Betta has what looks to be like missing scales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicE

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My betta, Akihiko, appears to be, or is looks like he is, missing scales on top of his head. Does anyone know what could cause this? image.jpg

OP
ToxicE

ToxicE

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Any advice would be very helpful, please and thank you, I'm worried about him, since I think he is still recovering from his loss of his slime coat. (Although I'm pretty sure he has it back now)

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I agree, a closer pic would make it easier From what I can see though, are you talking about the white-ish area? It kind of just seems like his coloration, but it's hard to tell without a clearer picture.

OP
ToxicE

ToxicE

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sorry if they are blurry, he wouldn't keep still! As always when I'm trying to take a picture......

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Do you mean the marbley look to his head? Mine looks just like that, it's his natural coloration. When I first got mine his head was black, but he developed gold blotches after awhile.

Out of curiosity, what size tank is that? He'd appreciate being in at least 10 gallons. Also it's hard to tell from the pic, but is it heated? Bettas like toasty warm water, 78-82

RPPhoto

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
yah im gonna say its Natural Coloration as well .. just wait until you get a pure white Betta that with 2 months time grows into a solid black Betta, talking about SCARY ! lol...

i agree with Kinez, you should be in a min of 10gals and deffinately need a heater, and something with a lid , they do try to fly every now and then ...

whats your diet like? ... i suggest New Life Specturm and maybe once a week Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp or Freeze Dried Bloodworms, they love them both....

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I personally don't think 10 gallons is necessary; I've kept a betta in a 5.5 and currently have two in a divided 10 and they're doing fine. More space is good though!

RPPhoto

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
just remember .. the size of the tank decides how often your water changes should be ...

5.5gal should be changed every 3 days @ 50%

a 10gal with appropriate Filteration can be done once a week and at 25% ..

a heavy planted tank like mine was you can get away with 15-20% and filter change...

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Unfortunately I still disagree If the tank is cycled and it only contains a betta - which doesn't produce a lot of waste - then once weekly is still fine. Similarly, I had a 2.5 gallon cycled tank, but it only had shrimp and so once weekly was still fine. It depends on the waste production of the fish, not the size of the tank. A betta in a 5 gallon is less strict about needing water changes than a goldfish in a 30 gallon. Also, the amount of filtration is important too. If you don't have enough filtration then you'll need to do extra water changes.

OP
ToxicE

ToxicE

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My tank is two gallons, is not heated, has a filter, and is put next to the room heater so his tank stays fairly warm. He eats bettamin flakes since he just spits back up the pellets. My tank does have a top, I just took it off to get a better picture, and when I feed him. I change his tank Mondays, and Fridays 100% of the water. I have to disagree I think their is something wrong with Akihiko, and not just him changing colors. It looks like he is missing scales and it is pinkish, whitish.

throwthesand

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It might be fin rot, but I'm not sure. You should heat the tank, it makes them happier and more active. My betta spit up his pellets too, but if you break them in half he might eat them, and I think pellets are better than flakes. You should wait a while and see if anything like fungus starts to develop.. if it does it might be fin rot or something similar. Try changing his water. Hope it helps I remember when my betta got fin rot, so scary!!! If it is fin rot, though, it's very common and very treatable so don't worry. Hope Akihiko is okay!

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you want to edit a post, there's a link on the bottom right corner of the post, for future reference.

I'm on my phone, and I had only looked at the third picture as it looked the biggest. I looked at the first, and I can see the lighter area you're talking about. It looks like inflammation; there isn't anything sharp in his tank, is there? I agree, I would be sure to keep the water pristine. Have you used a thermometer to see how warm the water actually is? Warm water helps them heal more quickly.

bankruptjojo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i cant tell from the pics but if he is missing scales it prob isnt a big deal. do some extra water changes to keep the tank extra clean. the problem comes when fungus or bacterial infections set in from the wound. clean water is best to stop this, other wise he should heal himself.

not all pellets are created equal, have you tried the new life spectrum? all my bettas love them so i just wanted to double check. it really is some of the best food available. also to help him heal soak his food in garlic. either fresh or seachem's garlic guard, garlic boost the fish immune system.

steady heat is important so make sure his heat is not going up or down more then a few degrees throughout the day. i keep heaters im my tanks more for the off day i leave a window open or something like that. one day were the tank drops to low and the fish could get sick and die, better safe then sorry imo.

also some kordons fish protector and or vita chem will go far to help him heal. this stuff can be hard to find locally, i order mine online.

what is his water parameters at? you need a liquid test kit if you dont have one. we need to make sure there is no ammonia or nitrite and nitrate is at a ok level. ph is also a good test to keep around.

lets not discuss tank size recommend for a betta. they should be able to live a healthy life in a 2g. as mentioned the smaller it is the more water changes should be done. on a 2g i would say 2 a week would be best assuming the tank is cycled. if not cycled might need more, only way to know is with the test kit i mentioned above. do you know about the nitrogen cycle? it is the single most important thing to understand when keeping fish so please read up on it.

hope this helps, welcome to fishlore.

OP
ToxicE

ToxicE

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't think there is, but tomorrow when I clean his tank I'll check again. I don't have a thermometer, and I don't think the dean will let me borrow the dorm's for my fish tank.

I know about the nitrogen cycle, someone here pointed me to it when I joined asking help for Akihiko when he lost his slime coat. Honestly I haven't tried anything else, and Akihiko seems to like his flakes, but I might try something else out in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

bankruptjojo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't think there is, but tomorrow when I clean his tank I'll check again. I don't have a thermometer, and I don't think the dean will let me borrow the dorm's for my fish tank.
you can find a glass aquarium thermometer for $2. making sure his temp is consistent and around 78-80f is very important. if its staying the same you dont need a heater but i would still get one just in case. you can find them for as cheap as $15.

ok good to know you know about the nitrogen cycle. you should change that on your profile so you dont keep being asked

Ethan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bettas are just fine and in a 5 gallon i would say 10-20% water change every week. i keep both of mine like this and they are doing *swimmingly*

OP
ToxicE

ToxicE

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, I'll change that, I also decided to change Akihiko's tank. Changing it earlier won't do him any harm, and in the long run it'll probably help him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Weekly

Votes: 42 64.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 12 18.5%

Top Bottom