29 Gallon Tank Betta has velvet (MAYBE) Need Help!

BettaKeeper86
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 105 Litres.
How long has the tank been running? More than a month.
Does it have a filter? Yes. Fx4 + Jbl CristaProfi e702.
Does it have a heater? Yes 2 of them - Fluval E300 + Aquael 100w.
What is the water temperature? Three zones show 3 temperatures - 28 at aquael, 25/26 at E300, 24.5 on Fluval Thermometer.
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Only the betta.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Every week. (Sometimes on the 5th or 6th day).
How much of the water do you change? 30 - 35%
What do you use to treat your water? StressCoat + Stability + QuickStart. If its cloudy on water change, then some Accuclear.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum substrate with fluval provac every other water change.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No, wanted to do fish in cycling.
What do you use to test the water? Test strips from API (get it confirmed at local fish store using master water test kit)
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:0-0.25PPM
Nitrite: 0mg/L
Nitrate:0mg/L
pH:7-7.5 (More towards 7)
KH: 80-120 mg/L
GH: 180 mg/L or more since thats the last reading

As a note I have 2 bags of fluval clearmec, ammonia remover and activated carbon (1 in each filter to keep the water in pristine condition)

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice a day at 12 PM and 11PM.
How much do you feed your fish? 2-3 micropellets or equivalent amount of frozen food soaked in garlic guard and JBL Atvitol.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra + JBL+Frozen Brine Shrimp+Frozen Bloodworms
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Yes.

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Around 3 weeks.
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Around 1.5 weeks.
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Lately I've started noticing a grey color forming on the top of his head where the blue scales used to be. I'm not quite sure if its a layer of grey on the blue scales or what exactly it is since if I see closely I feel like the blue scales are right there underneath.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? The only change I can notice is that he tends to stick to the heater from time to time which makes sense as the E300 fails at times due to low flow which is needed to keep the betta and the aquael warms up the temperature on the side so he tends to stick to it sometimes (because he likes the heat maybe)

Explain your emergency situation in detail. I'm scared is he's caught velvet or any other parasitic or other infection and the treatment plan for the same if that's the case. The LFS guy told me that maybe he's marbling. He's eating as usual, always seems active except when he's taking naps I guess. Always excited for food.

P.S. i've attached the pictures of my baby along with the picture of the ammonia test kit result as I always find it difficult to see if its 0 or 0.25.

Thanks and Regards.
Additional pictures that I couldn't attach to the main thread.

ValkyrieLips
It doesn't look like velvet to me. A lot of blue/green bettas have a gold iridescence when light is shone on them.

Regarding his behavior, have you checked that the flow from your filters isn't too strong for him? I would also recommend just using one reliable heater to keep the tank at a stable temp.

Imo your ammonia reading looks to be 0 ppm. I would recommend removing the ammonia remover from your filters because it's stalling your cycle. You need some ammonia in the tank for the BB colonies to consume, so essentially right now your starving them and they aren't getting a chance to establish themselves.

alven
I also agree with the post above. If you haven't noticed any other symptoms like loss in appetite, clamped fins, scratching against décor, etc. then I don't think your betta has velvet at all. However, you should still monitor him closely. Good luck. :)

BettaKeeper86
ValkyrieLips I covered the output hoses with filterfloss tightly enough so there is absolutely 0 noticeable flow on top or under water. I'm just scared that is suddenly started growing grey.

alven
Betta discoloration can also be linked to stress...could you think of any other reasons for your betta to possibly be stressed?

BettaKeeper86
@alvinn The only thing I can think of is temperature. That'll take me a week or two to fix as I've ordered a tall square unit - Juwel Lido 200 which will make my life very easy in terms of heating and maintaining the temperature.

Rose of Sharon
Hi BettaKeeper,

What a sweet little guy you have!

As bettas age, their colors will change. I think that ValkyrieLips is right about your betta not having velvet. He looks fine to me.

As far as staying by the heater, sometimes bettas just scope out a place that they like to stay. I have had a few bettas that liked to sleep behind the heater in the tank because that is where they felt safe. Also, they tend to like tight places, and that may be another reason why he hangs around the heater at times. Your temp sounds fine, but if you are worried about the fluctuations, then getting a heater that is a higher wattage will help. I always recommend getting a heater that is adjustable, so that you can change the settings with the seasons.

I am not sure how effective quickstart is; I know that Tetra Safe Start is pretty good. I have used it to help cycle 2 of my tanks, and even though they were smaller tanks, I ended up having to use 2 bottles (more than the directions say to use). You just have to pay attention to the expiration dates.

I am not familiar with the ammonia remover that you are using, but if you can get some Seachem Prime, it will hold the toxic part of ammonia without actually removing the ammonia from the tank. Therefore, the tank gets cycled and the fish are safe.

I hope this helps!!!!

ValkyrieLips
BettaKeeper86 said:
ValkyrieLips I covered the output hoses with filterfloss tightly enough so there is absolutely 0 noticeable flow on top or under water. I'm just scared that is suddenly started growing grey.
It could be stress related or he may be starting to change color if he has the marbling gene. I would continue to monitor him, but as long as he is eating well and behaving normally I wouldn't worry too much. He looks healthy to me.

Top Bottom