Betta has septicemia?!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Aquachic, Jul 21, 2015.

1. AquachicNew MemberMember

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong thread! I'm panicking because I think my betta fish Phineas is suffering from septicemia! He lives alone, and his tank recently go uncharacteristically cloudy. This happened despite full water changes until we removed all the gravel at the bottom.

Overnight, his fins have become ragged and he has red streaks across most of them. It looks like he is changing from blue to red!

He still is behaving normally, but I want to treat him quickly. What can I do? :( Will he be okay?

2. Gena

GenaWell Known MemberMember

3. OP
    OP
    A

AquachicNew MemberMember

He was in a half gallon tank, so when the tank looked strange (cloudy buildup on the tank, not in the water), we just changed out all the water. We only use spring water and treat it with Prime for every water change. It seems something was in the gravel...

4. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

5. Nympxzie

NympxzieValued MemberMember

What size tank is he in? Is it heated? What are your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels. I believe septicemia is a result of high ammonia.

6. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

The OP mentioned in post #3 that the betta is in a half gallon tank. Which is wayyyy too small for ANY fish. Even a betta needs to be in a 2.5 gallon filtered and heated tank. I'm assuming the tank isn't cycled.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Nympxzie

NympxzieValued MemberMember

I was hoping the half gallon was a temporary treatment tank not his actual tank....in that case yeah you will have to upgrade his tank to at least a 2.5. Half a gallon cannot be heated safely. Betta are tropical fish and require a minimum temp of 75 degrees. You would have to keep your house around 80 F year round to achieve that.

Start by giving him 2 100%water changes every day until you can upgrade him to a 2.5.

Correct me if I'm wrong, You should treat with medicated food and anti-biotic like maracyn and maracyn 2

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice