Betta Has Possible Swim Bladder Issue

1. Simon711

Simon711 Valued Member Member

Hello all! So I have 1 betta in a 3.5 gallon, heated, cycled, and filtered tank and he recently has been getting really bloated when he eats. I used to feed him 6 pellets a day, 3 in the morning and 3 at night, and he was always fine. But recently he has been getting really bloated so I fasted him and he went back to normal. After the fast I only gave him one pellet. Now today when I came back home, he was bloated and when ever he would try to swim down he would quickly float back to the surface. I think this is a possible swim bladder issue, but I have absolutely no idea what to do. I really need your guys' help. Thank you in advance.

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

Are you soaking the pellets in water before feeding him? I know some bettas are more prone to bloating than other.

You can alsp try switching up his food for frozen foods like blood worms or brine shrimp.

3. OP
    OP
    Simon711

Simon711 Valued Member Member

I'm not soaking the pellets no

4. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

Soaking the pellets in tank water is important as they swell in the stomach. I recommend feeding daphnia..bettas r carnivorous which 2 me make a better option than developed peas. Daphnia have a hard outer shell acting like a laxative.