Betta Has Ick....advice Please!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Stevo803, Jun 20, 2018.

1. S

Stevo803 New Member Member

So this morning when feeding my Betta I noticed he has ick. I look like he had been sprinkles of salt all over him. Ive read different sites online but get different answers of information. For now I have increased the tank temp to 82 degrees and not any more than that because I have neon tetras in the tank also and have read that 82 was the max they could handle. What makes it worse is this is my main planted tank. I have Paraguard and Cupramine on hand but not sure if I should use them because of the root tabs in the tank. Don't know if they may cross react or have some bad outcome from mixing the two. Any advice or help is much appreciated. Thanks

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Pics?

3. OP
    OP
    S

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2018
  4. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

The neon sign will be fine.

Raise the temp to 86 and keep it there for 2 weeks.

Every day, do a gravel vac.

Also, run an airstone(if you already don’t) during this period.

5. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

My neon tetras survived ich treatment with the temp at 86. It was the corydoras that had issues with the heat.

6. OP
    OP
    S

Yea ill put in an air stone tommorrow, i have a small one somewhere

Will aquatics plants be ok during this period with 86 degrees?

7. IHaveADogToo

You might get some browning, but in my experience they bounce back. If you have real sensitive plants they may not be ok, but your basic aquatic plants like amazon swords and java fern will survive.

8. NYFishGuy

NYFishGuy Valued Member Member

Heat alone did not work for me, mine started looking like yours and had 10x more dots the next day.
    I used Ich-X and most fell off within 36hr. I notice some of my plants browning from 85-86 s.repens didn't like the heat.

9. IHaveADogToo

There is a strain of ich going around right now that is heat resistant. Fortunately, that strain is more rare. If the heat-resistant ich is what the OP's betta has, we will find out within 48 hours of starting heat treatment.

Fish meds kill plants too. There's really no way to treat ich that isn't risky to plants.

10. OP
    OP
    S

Im kind of stuck not sure what to do. I just bought that 5 gallon tank and planted the plants in it from my old 3.5 gallon tank and put out some flourish root tabs for the plants. My only concern now is can I use the Paraguard that I have to treat the ick even though the root tabs are buried beneath the substrate? They wont create some crazy chemical reaction or something :)

11. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

It takes a few days to start working with heat method. May look worse before getting better but a very good treatment without the use of harsh meds.

12. OP
    OP
    S

Did your betta lay around at the bottom? mine is laying at the bottom and only comes up for air at the surface. Heat is at 86 to 86.2 at most and I put an airstone in the tank today and did a 50% water change

Hoping I don't lose him. I started turning the heat up as soon as I noticed it. that night I went to bed and no white on him at all and woke up the next day and he was covered in white dots.

13. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I don’t have a Betta. I have goldies and tropical fish, including neon tetras. My goldies and tetras did fine with the higher temp and the goldies are cold water fish. Normally, most fish can handle higher temps temporarily. I would just keep an eye on him. By the way, I do have a Betta coming next week. I’ll be asking lots of questions then, I’m sure.

14. OP
    OP
    S

Awesome!!! They are really nice fish

15. f

fudge New Member Member

Saltbath, clean what's inside the tank, water changes eta
    The king of diy also has video on it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice