Betta Has Had Swim Bladder Issues For Over 2 Months Need Help Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Byron Wilkinson, May 7, 2019.

1. Byron Wilkinson

Byron WilkinsonNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Here are all the details below, I've posted about this prior but didn't get any answers but I'm hoping for some new suggestions.

Hello,

I’ve had my Male Betta for a little over a year and he’s been absolutely fine and then one day he had swim bladder problems and found it hard to swim and sank all the time?

I’ve been medicating him and I’ve kept him in a breeder box at the top of the tank for over 2 months but he’s still in the same shape...

I’ve fed him pees etc and he isn’t constipated, and I’ve done medications as well as moving him to a hospital tank and that hasn’t worked either. I've tried salt baths everything I can think of ( changing water daily 20% at a time) but nothing has worked.

I feed frozen food daily and he used to live in a heated cycled 5 gallon with great perimeters. I know the water isn’t much of a problem as he’s in a divided tank (10 gallon total) with another Betta for over 5 months prior.

I was wondering is there anything else I can try and also if anyone has experienced this?

Also the betta swims like it's back fin isn't strong enough for it to swim or something which is what I hear happens with swim bladder problems.

Thanks if anyone answers!

2. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,101
    Experience:
    3 years
    Do you mind filling out this template and pasting it here?
    https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/fish-emergency-template.376562/

So you say he has troubles getting up to the top? Swim bladder can affect the swim bladder in a way that wouldn't allow the betta to go up, or to go down.
    I personally don't recommend medicating for swim bladder disorder, instead I advise lowering the water level or moving him closer to the surface as you have done in the breeder box.

Try taking him completely off food for a few days, and then feed him a boiled pea with the shell moved, and mash it up really well so he can easily digest it.

If this doesn't work, try an epsom salt bath, this may be able to release some of the pressure on his swim bladder, clean water will help as well.

3. OP
    OP
    Byron Wilkinson

Byron WilkinsonNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Great I'll try all of that, Ive put him in a breeder box (forgot to mention that) but I'll try the other methods again. I've looked up everywhere what this could be but there hasn't been many answers... thanks for responding I'll fill out the form to see if anyone else has any suggestions!