Betta Has Finrot

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by wem21, Apr 19, 2017.

1. w

wem21 Well Known Member Member

He has what looks like finrot.
    Will be doing every other day WC, 25% until better. Any other advice? His tank is cycled, probs from bad water in the cups.

Attached Files:

2. Cycerath

Cycerath Valued Member Member

i've treated fin rot using api stress coat+ and/or aquarium salt before. alot of people on this forum seem to love prime and highly recommend it though. i even bought myself a bottle of prime yesterday just cause so many people praise it, just waiting for it to come in the mail.

3. OP
    OP
    w

yes, I have a bottle of prime. Am dosing now,

SHould I dose everytime I do a WC?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  4. sassymomma

sassymomma Well Known Member Member

Yes, dose Prime for the whole tank each time you do a water change.

If you do salt, dose for the # of gallons removed. I believe it is 1 tsp per 5gal? I like to add it in over a couple of daily water changes so that the fish don't experience shock...because I'm paranoid lol

5. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

The salt dosage is 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons) per 5 gallons. For my bettas, I add 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. Right now I'm treating one for a mild case of fin rot, so I change out 1 gallon of water a day and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt back in.

6. sassymomma

sassymomma Well Known Member Member

Thanks Kimberly

I always have to reference the package lol

7. orangeclumsy1

orangeclumsy1 Valued Member Member

I've had success before using melafix to treat finrot. It contains tea tree oil which helps heal the fins.

8. OP
    OP
    w

Ran out of AQ saly. Will get some tmr, but for now will treat with API stress coat.

9. OP
    OP
    w

Update: found Melafix, dosed it. Will continue to dose based on the inatructions on the bottle. How do I tell the fin is healing?

10. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

You'll see clear growth at the ends and in between splits that will gradually fill in with color.

11. OP
    OP
    w

10Q

12. OP
    OP
    w

Update: It hasnt gotten worse, and because the fin tips are only a tiny bit jagged, Im wondering if it even is finrot?
    @CindiL

Attached Files:

13. Samantha100113

Samantha100113 New Member Member

I have only used aquarium salt and prime for finrot so I don't know about melafix but I usually tend to stay away from all the fix's (bettafix, melafix, etc.).
    His finrot doesn't look too bad so you may get away with just using aquarium salt.
    If you purchased him like that, and his colors aren't changing/fading it may just be the way his tails are. Sounds weird but I have bought bettas from my local Petco that I intially thought had finrot but their tails didn't get better or look different over time and they still lived upto atleast 4 years.
    You should try to get a picture of him spreading his tail if he will.

14. OP
    OP
    w

might be difficult, I havent seen him fully flare even with a mirror in his face

15. Samantha100113

You could try putting a fake fish or a ping pong ball in the tank to see if he might flare.

16. OP
    OP
    w

ok, I may try that. Or i could get a guppy from my community tank in a plastic cup infront of him for 5mins

17. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

It looks quite minor at this point. I'm not a big melalucia oil fan honestly though it does have some antiseptic properties and is ok for very mild fin rot. I prefer aquarium salt at low doses, 1 tbsp per 5g water and lots of water changes (every other day) for very mild cases like his.

They should grow back just fine, maybe even with just lots of water changes.

18. Samantha100113

That will work also. He may just never flare as often. Some male bettas are not aggressive. I have one right now that does not care about anything going into his tank and he never flares at other fish or the mirror. Only time he will is when I wake him up in the morning.

19. OP
    OP
    w

how wouls you use the salt? like just put it in with every WC, or something entirely different?

20. OP
    OP
    w

Okay guys, i have added a little more to my worry meter. Arlo didnt eat his dinner, I tried to feed him 3 pellets. He had 3 pellets thia morning. Tried to soak in garlic, didnt work. BLOODWORMS didnt work. oh well, Ill try later tonight and tmr morning.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice