Betta Has Finrot

wem21

He has what looks like finrot.
Will be doing every other day WC, 25% until better. Any other advice? His tank is cycled, probs from bad water in the cups.

Attachments

Cycerath

i've treated fin rot using apI stress coat+ and/or aquarium salt before. a lot of people on this forum seem to love prime and highly recommend it though. I even bought myself a bottle of prime yesterday just cause so many people praise it, just waiting for it to come in the mail.

wem21

Cycerath said:
i've treated fin rot using apI stress coat+ and/or aquarium salt before. a lot of people on this forum seem to love prime and highly recommend it though. I even bought myself a bottle of prime yesterday just cause so many people praise it, just waiting for it to come in the mail.
yes, I have a bottle of prime. Am dosing now,

wem21 said:
yes, I have a bottle of prime. Am dosing now,
SHould I dose every time I do a WC?

sassymomma

Yes, dose Prime for the whole tank each time you do a water change.

If you do salt, dose for the # of gallons removed. I believe it is 1 tsp per 5gal? I like to add it in over a couple of daily water changes so that the fish don't experience shock...because I'm paranoid lol

KimberlyG

The salt dosage is 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons) per 5 gallons. For my bettas, I add 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. Right now I'm treating one for a mild case of fin rot, so I change out 1 gallon of water a day and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt back in.

sassymomma

Thanks Kimberly

I always have to reference the package lol

orangeclumsy1

I've had success before using melafix to treat finrot. It contains tea tree oil which helps heal the fins.

wem21

KimberlyG said:
The salt dosage is 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons) per 5 gallons. For my bettas, I add 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. Right now I'm treating one for a mild case of fin rot, so I change out 1 gallon of water a day and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt back in.
Ran out of AQ saly. Will get some tmr, but for now will treat with API stress coat.

wem21

Update: found Melafix, dosed it. Will continue to dose based on the inatructions on the bottle. How do I tell the fin is healing?

KimberlyG

You'll see clear growth at the ends and in between splits that will gradually fill in with color.

wem21

KimberlyG said:
You'll see clear growth at the ends and in between splits that will gradually fill in with color.
10Q

wem21

Update: It hasnt gotten worse, and because the fin tips are only a tiny bit jagged, I'm wondering if it even is finrot?
CindiL

Attachments

Samantha100113

wem21 said:
He has what looks like finrot.
Will be doing every other day WC, 25% until better. Any other advice? His tank is cycled, probs from bad water in the cups.
I have only used aquarium salt and prime for finrot so I don't know about melafix but I usually tend to stay away from all the fix's (bettafix, melafix, etc.).
His finrot doesn't look too bad so you may get away with just using aquarium salt.
If you purchased him like that, and his colors aren't changing/fading it may just be the way his tails are. Sounds weird but I have bought bettas from my local Petco that I intially thought had finrot but their tails didn't get better or look different over time and they still lived upto atleast 4 years.
You should try to get a picture of him spreading his tail if he will.

wem21

Samantha100113 said:
I have only used aquarium salt and prime for finrot so I don't know about melafix but I usually tend to stay away from all the fix's (bettafix, melafix, etc.).
His finrot doesn't look too bad so you may get away with just using aquarium salt.
If you purchased him like that, and his colors aren't changing/fading it may just be the way his tails are. Sounds weird but I have bought bettas from my local Petco that I intially thought had finrot but their tails didn't get better or look different over time and they still lived upto atleast 4 years.
You should try to get a picture of him spreading his tail if he will.
might be difficult, I haven't seen him fully flare even with a mirror in his face

Samantha100113

You could try putting a fake fish or a ping pong ball in the tank to see if he might flare.

wem21

Samantha100113 said:
You could try putting a fake fish or a ping pong ball in the tank to see if he might flare.
ok, I may try that. Or I could get a guppy from my community tank in a plastic cup infront of him for 5mins

CindiL

It looks quite minor at this point. I'm not a big melalucia oil fan honestly though it does have some antiseptic properties and is ok for very mild fin rot. I prefer aquarium salt at low doses, 1 tbsp per 5 gallon water and lots of water changes (every other day) for very mild cases like his.

They should grow back just fine, maybe even with just lots of water changes.

Samantha100113

wem21 said:
ok, I may try that. Or I could get a guppy from my community tank in a plastic cup infront of him for 5mins
That will work also. He may just never flare as often. Some male bettas are not aggressive. I have one right now that does not care about anything going into his tank and he never flares at other fish or the mirror. Only time he will is when I wake him up in the morning.

wem21

CindiL said:
It looks quite minor at this point. I'm not a big melalucia oil fan honestly though it does have some antiseptic properties and is ok for very mild fin rot. I prefer aquarium salt at low doses, 1 tbsp per 5 gallon water and lots of water changes (every other day) for very mild cases like his.

They should grow back just fine, maybe even with just lots of water changes.
how wouls you use the salt? like just put it in with every WC, or something entirely different?

wem21

Okay guys, I have added a little more to my worry meter. Arlo didnt eat his dinner, I tried to feed him 3 pellets. He had 3 pellets thia morning. Tried to soak in garlic, didnt work. BLOODWORMS didnt work. oh well, Ill try later tonight and tmr morning.

CindiL

It doesn't evaporate so you put it in once and then replace it with water changes, i.e., if you do a 50% water change you replace 1/2 tbsp. Make sure to dissolve it first with some removed tank water before pouring it into the tank.

You just leave it in for a couple of weeks while the fins heal. Sometimes it requires more salt than that but his fins just need a little TLC.

Cycerath

CindiL said:
if you do a 50% water change you replace 1/2 tbsp
I thought it was equal in and out, so if you had a 10 gallon tank, took out 50% (5 gallons), then you'd replace with 1 rounded tsp. assuming your using 1tsp/5gallon like apI salt instructions say.

wem21

Thanks for all the adive guys! I woke Arlo up when I came back from the pub, he flared fully for the first time! He stopped before I got a pic, sadly.

Writing this not too sober, forgive any mistakes.

CindiL

Cycerath said:
I thought it was equal in and out, so if you had a 10 gallon tank, took out 50% (5 gallons), then you'd replace with 1 rounded tsp. assuming your using 1tsp/5gallon like apI salt instructions say.
That's what I was saying, equal in and out. If you dose a tablespoon per 5 gallon and change 50% then you're replacing 1/2 tbsp.
Dosing amount is based on what is wrong with them. 1 tsp per 5 or 10 gallon is really only good for osmotic function or nitrite poisoning. You need anywhere from 1/2-3 tsp per gallon depending on the type of illness or parasite.

Cycerath

i'm sorry, I took another look at the apI salt, and your right it does say tbsp not tsp for 5g, that was my fault. I always just followed the 1/2 tsp/gallon instructions below that so I never really noticed.

wem21

So, Arlo ate 3 pellets this morning. He like to spit it 2 times before it gets soft enough for him. Ill try soaking before feeding next time. Did another dose of Melafix, and his fin rot is getting better. Will stop Melafix on monday, will do every other day WC with prime and stress coat.

wem21

Update:

He hasnt improved, or worsened I think. do you think it looks better or worse?
Also pretty steamed that I accidently spilt all my bloodworms into my 60g. Now I need to get more, and I have 7 bloated fish on hand.

Attachments

sassymomma

Is he an especially active fish? With plenty of space to play?

I'm told that sometimes very active Betta get ragged fins due to the drag of water, and just use-which is why the pet shops cup them, to keep them perfect ?

As to the pictures...if I scroll to post one, and compare with now, I can see fin regrowth.
That's the white on the ends, of which he has quite a bit now

I don't see any black edges, or waxy, melted looking edges to indicate continued rot, and no pinholes either

He looks healthy to me

wem21

sassymomma said:
Is he an especially active fish? With plenty of space to play?

I'm told that sometimes very active Betta get ragged fins due to the drag of water, and just use-which is why the pet shops cup them, to keep them perfect ?

As to the pictures...if I scroll to post one, and compare with now, I can see fin regrowth.
That's the white on the ends, of which he has quite a bit now

I don't see any black edges, or waxy, melted looking edges to indicate continued rot, and no pinholes either

He looks healthy to me
He loves swimminh against the filter floe, then letting it push him through a plant, very active. I feed him 6 pellets a day, withr BW some days.

sassymomma

That ragged edge will be normal for him then

Mine does the same....and squashes himself into tight spaces......and leans into the filter intake

I have redesigned his tank three times to compensate for him

As long as he's regularly regrowing the damage, and not showing black or waxy looking edges, clean water should do the trick

wem21

sassymomma said:
That ragged edge will be normal for him then

Mine does the same....and squashes himself into tight spaces......and leans into the filter intake

I have redesigned his tank three times to compensate for him

As long as he's regularly regrowing the damage, and not showing black or waxy looking edges, clean water should do the trick

So should I stop dosing stress coat, and stop every other day WC?

CindiL

I think you can. His fins look pretty good in that picture. Just keep an eye on them.

wem21

CindiL said:
I think you can. His fins look pretty good in that picture. Just keep an eye on them.
thanks for all your help! Just a side note, does anyones betta only flare at other things but not their reflections? Mine will flare at the guppies across the room from him a once a few days, but not at his reflection.

Cycerath

my koI betta flares at his reflection and my finger but won't flare at other bettas. I think it's just their own unique personalities

sassymomma

Mine attacks the blue ring on the jäger heater so viciously that I replaced it, but ignores other fish, and his own reflection

CindiL

Mine only flares at the nerite snails in his tank when they're on the glass. They really p*%ss him off lol.

Most photos and links are disabled if you are not logged into the forum.

Top Bottom