Betta has fin rot but treatment is not working....

betta06

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gallons but he has 5.
How long has the tank been running? since December 2020
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? no
What is the water temperature? 78-80
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 2 male bettas and 1 tiger nerate snail

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once a week
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? seachem prime conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? it gets vacuumed every other week

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? API master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: between 0ppm-.5ppm
pH: 7.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? every day except on Thursdays
How much do you feed your fish? about 5 pieces
What brand of food do you feed your fish? fluval bug bites is their main food but every once in a while they get nutrafin max flakes
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? yes, frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp weekly

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? about 1-2 years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 1 week ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? he has white fuzz on his fins definitely fin rot though.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? yes, at first I did extra water changes then when I did not notice any improvements I used aquarium salt.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behaviour and appearance changed, if at all? he will just float on the top of the tank or lay on the bottom and is not eating (I have not used garlic juice yet)

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
not to much to say other then what I said above. I am worried about the other fish in the tank (a crown tail) so they are both going though treatment although he has not yet showed any symptoms. is there any medications I should try? or just continue with the same treatment?

thanks! I will get pictures asap

lolitroy

How much aquarium salt are you using? Are you doing salt soaks or placing him in a quarantine tank with the salt? From experience, it takes a few days to start seeing improvements.

Upvote 0

betta06

How much aquarium salt are you using? Are you doing salt soaks or placing him in a quarantine tank with the salt? From experience, it takes a few days to start seeing improvements.
so for the last 3 days I was doing it in his tank and since today I did a salt dip for 10 minutes.
the amounts of salt where just over 1 tablespoon for his main tank and I used 1 teaspoon for his bath today. I plan to increase the amount of salt in his bath but did not want to start with to much.
Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• 2DCA4973-31BA-4316-A479-FE89F3CB3300.jpeg
    2DCA4973-31BA-4316-A479-FE89F3CB3300.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 47224EBF-654C-4B7B-B3A1-4B1291F9E498.jpeg
    47224EBF-654C-4B7B-B3A1-4B1291F9E498.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0

betta06

he just passed away...... I really have no idea why though his fin rot did not seem bad enough to kill him so I am worried it might be something else. the thing that is worst of all though is he used to be in a 10 gallon with 2 other bettas one of them was upgraded to another 10 gallon with another betta and now that means 3 other bettas have it or have a chance at getting it (the 2 of them that where in contact with him are already showing symptoms)

here is what I noticed in flame. he obviously had the white fluff on his fins, but he would also go head down in the gravel, his breathing was weird it would go from hardly breathing to huge heavy breaths sorry I know this is probable not enough to know what it was but maybe it will help!

so far I have started giving garlic juice and all them are getting 15% water changes every other day.

thanks!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LGlassie
Replies
Views
SavTheArtist
Replies
Views
Hemikyle