betta Has Eye Bulge/cloudy????

AzulFishy

Valued Member
Messages
72
Reaction score
7
Points
18
Experience
Just started
My male betta left eye looks a lil bulgy and cloudy what's that from?? How to fix it? I have 5 harlequin rasbora but they don't bother him. They all live peacefully. 10g tank. Thanks!
 

PatientStars

Valued Member
Messages
328
Reaction score
220
Points
63
Experience
2 years
AzulFishy said:
My male betta left eye looks a lil bulgy and cloudy what's that from?? How to fix it? I have 5 harlequin rasbora but they don't bother him. They all live peacefully. 10g tank. Thanks!
Water parameters? A cloudy eye that sticks out sounds like pop eye, which is caused by a bacterial infection. Maracyn or Maracyn II would treat that. Frequent water changes and clean water also help.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

AzulFishy

Valued Member
Messages
72
Reaction score
7
Points
18
Experience
Just started
Last am checked by pet store it was all 0's and ph 7.0. She said change water 10 percent weekly. Does it always mean bad water? Could it have scraped it on something in the tank?? Can I leave him in the tank with other fish while treating?

DESCRIPTION: I have a betta with 5 harlequin rasbora in a 10g filtered and heated tank. They all get along! Last wk pet store said the #'s are ph 7.0 and 0,0,0..idk what it is now. Still trying to get test kit of my own. They said change 10 percent per week. But I only followed their instructions 1 week..before I would do 25 to 30 weekly. But it happens to be the week I do the 10 percent this happens. IDK!!

PROBLEM: The betta left eye is foggy/bulge to it. Idk how bad it is i just noticed it. I can still see the eye ball through the cloudiness. He's still active and eating. Though seems like a little less eating. Idk if he scraped eye or it's water conditions.

QUESTIONS: I have brand API T.C. TETRACYCLINE treatments powder. how do I properly use it because on back it says remove cartridge filter, but if I remove it then the cycling process will be disturbed or end? Can I treat him while in with other fish (I don't have another heater for my 2g bowl)? If i have to use 2g bowl to treat him then how much powder do I use from each packet? And when to do water changes and how much?? This wouldn't go away on it's own if I do like 35 percent water changes per wk (I've heard treating fish could possibly kill them idk how true that is) ?

Thank you all for the help! I'm new fish owner and first time had something happen like this
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,091
Reaction score
3,476
Points
448
Experience
4 years
I'm inexperienced with that particular medication and illness but I can help with the filter question. If you remove the cartridge, you remove the cycle. But, you can get a pair of clean scissors or similar and cut slits in the cartridge to remove the carbon. It's the carbon in the cartridge that will remove the medication from the water.
Edit: also I would try and wait for a more experienced member than me to reply for the medication, I'm sure they'll have a better answer.
 

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
2,049
Points
158
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree with Rtessy. Just take out the carbon. I am treating for the exact same thing right now. It’s called popeye. I am using kanamycin. MIne has been through one 3 time treatment with it and gotten better but about to start another round. It takes some time to clear up completely...like several weeks or even months sometimes depending on the cause. Keep your water pristine. Make sure the meds won’t kill your beneficial bacteria before using if treat in the tank. I treat mine in with the other fish but I have 4 goldfish in a 55G.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

AzulFishy

Valued Member
Messages
72
Reaction score
7
Points
18
Experience
Just started
Goldiemom said:
Agree with Rtessy. Just take out the carbon. I am treating for the exact same thing right now. It’s called popeye. I am using kanamycin. MIne has been through one 3 time treatment with it and gotten better but about to start another round. It takes some time to clear up completely...like several weeks or even months sometimes depending on the cause. Keep your water pristine. Make sure the meds won’t kill your beneficial bacteria before using if treat in the tank. I treat mine in with the other fish but I have 4 goldfish in a 55G.
If i decide to treat in a 2g bowl (just seems easier) how much of a packet do I put in? And I just follow same instructions on back of box such as dose it wait 24 hr dose again and wait 24 hr then do 25 percent change?

Rtessy said:
I'm inexperienced with that particular medication and illness but I can help with the filter question. If you remove the cartridge, you remove the cycle. But, you can get a pair of clean scissors or similar and cut slits in the cartridge to remove the carbon. It's the carbon in the cartridge that will remove the medication from the water.
Edit: also I would try and wait for a more experienced member than me to reply for the medication, I'm sure they'll have a better answer.
Thank you!
 

Lucy

Moderator
Messages
45,707
Reaction score
2,388
Points
1,383
Experience
5 to 10 years
Threads merged. Please make one thread for an issue. It makes things less confusing for everyone.
Sometimes we have to be a bit more patient for people to see your thread and respond.
Thanks!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

AzulFishy

Valued Member
Messages
72
Reaction score
7
Points
18
Experience
Just started
Well that's weird! Idk how that happened. Well I friek out about something like this so
 

PatientStars

Valued Member
Messages
328
Reaction score
220
Points
63
Experience
2 years
AzulFishy said:
DESCRIPTION: I have a betta with 5 harlequin rasbora in a 10g filtered and heated tank. They all get along! Last wk pet store said the #'s are ph 7.0 and 0,0,0..idk what it is now. Still trying to get test kit of my own. They said change 10 percent per week. But I only followed their instructions 1 week..before I would do 25 to 30 weekly. But it happens to be the week I do the 10 percent this happens. IDK!!

PROBLEM: The betta left eye is foggy/bulge to it. Idk how bad it is i just noticed it. I can still see the eye ball through the cloudiness. He's still active and eating. Though seems like a little less eating. Idk if he scraped eye or it's water conditions.

QUESTIONS: I have brand API T.C. TETRACYCLINE treatments powder. how do I properly use it because on back it says remove cartridge filter, but if I remove it then the cycling process will be disturbed or end? Can I treat him while in with other fish (I don't have another heater for my 2g bowl)? If i have to use 2g bowl to treat him then how much powder do I use from each packet? And when to do water changes and how much?? This wouldn't go away on it's own if I do like 35 percent water changes per wk (I've heard treating fish could possibly kill them idk how true that is) ?

Thank you all for the help! I'm new fish owner and first time had something happen like this

I also agree about cutting the carbon out of your filter if you treat the main tank. But it's odd that you have 0 nitrates, you should be seeing a small reading there while ammonia and nitrites remain 0.

I haven't used Tetracycline, but as long as it says it's for bacterial infections it should help. Just be sure to keep a very close eye on him for any adverse reactions (especially if he seems to have trouble getting to the surface to breathe, or is at the top gasping). Treating him by himself would be better, as long as the other tank is the same temperature and is cycled, otherwise you risk stressing him more than necessary which can cause the infection to get worse.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11

AzulFishy

Valued Member
Messages
72
Reaction score
7
Points
18
Experience
Just started
Yea idk how to go about getting nitrates in there. The 2g is not cycled. But he eats and swims fine. Should I do the treatments no matter long it takes until it's all the way better?
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom