Betta has dropsy

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Treefork, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Treefork

TreeforkWell Known MemberMember

Ok my Betta is sick I had a previous post with this. From what I can deduce he may have dropsy. His chest cavity has swollen out and his scales have a bit of a pine cone appearance. I had to go out of town before I could do anything about it but he was still alive when I got home and is eating just as voraciously as ever. I put him in an empty 2.5 Gallon I have and bought him a heater for it. There is no filter on this tank. I have began treatment today with Maracyn-Two. Not certain if this will do anything but it's worth a try, Beefsteak has been the best Betta I've had. Anyone had any experience with this?

2. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Dropsy is a bad disease to get. I cant suggest a lot other then the maracyn2 treatment until things change. Keep his water changed everyday before you repeat the dosing of maracyn. And just keep him as comfy as you can....Best of Luck.

3. Tigerfishy

TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

I have experience of this, just a few weeks ago. I tried everything suggested, but once they pine cone, there's really no way back. I am very sorry, I know what's going on so I can sympathise.

Unless you catch it early, then really there's no chance. However as the early stages are usually bloating, it can be mistaken for constipation as I thought.

As Fura suggests, keep him comfortable until he goes. Near the end it is very distressing, mines would suddenly swim forward fast for no reason and smash into the tank wall. Please consider euthanasia if it gets to this stage as it is not a nice thing to watch, and they are obviously suffering. https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...48332-humane-method-euthanasia-sick-fish.html

4. OP
    OP
    Treefork

How long did it take to get to that stage? It's been about 6 days now since he started bloating up.

5. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

:( I'm so sorry to hear about your betta.
    Best of luck.

6. OP
    OP
    Treefork

Haven't given up yet. :) We're going to try to pull him through, he's a good fish. I've had him about 19 months.

7. red020804

red020804Valued MemberMember

im so sorry about your betta. i had experience with dropsy with a black molly but i was told it was ich from the pet store so we treated him for ich and left town the next day for 3 days and came home and he was healed. im sure it was dropsy because he layed on his side on the bottom, didnt eat, and was bloated and pineconed. i think he probably had ich too because he was covered in white spots as well. i think we got lucky and he is still alive and back to normal and this was in december. so dont give up hope. i'll pray for you and your betta.

8. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

hey tiger.....that's exactly what happened to my boy. i thought he was constipated at first. he went downhill very fast. it was like about 3 days from start to end.

sorry your boy is very sick. just let him know you are there and you care.

9. Tigerfishy

Yes, Antares arrived on Fri morning, was bloated on Monday morning, by the Wed the pine cones were evident. By then, it's too late. He lasted another week or two, and we had him for nearly 3 weeks in total. It was very quick but for the whole of his last week, it was very sad, he was suffering and I was trying all the meds, but nothing worked. As I was away the weekend he arrived, I only saw him once when he wasn't ill, that was the evening he arrived. Poor little guy.

10. OP
    OP
    Treefork

Oh I guess I'll just see what happens. I'm not opposed to euthanasia if he is suffering incurably, but I'm going to give it a go first.

11. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Best wishes Treefork!
    Ken

12. Tigerfishy

Def give it a go, you'll always wonder what if, if you don't. There's no harm in trying after all, you're trying to give him the best shot. Best of luck and keep us updated

13. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

I agree. I would not give up on a fish no matter what. Try it all if you can. I wish you the very best.

14. OP
    OP
    Treefork

Well here's a pic of him, he's still alive and kicking after over two weeks, so I don't know if he's got dropsy or not. He is still really bloated looking, I tried feeding him a pea but he didn't want anything to do with it. Not sure where to go now.

EDIT: Picture didn't come up.
    EDIT2: Should be there now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  15. Jequila

JequilaValued MemberMember

When Takeshi got dropsy he really seemed to perk up after an epsom salt bath. maybe give that ago? He still died in the end though :( Good luck with your boy.

16. OP
    OP
    Treefork

Well, I'm just not sure he has it now. He's pretty energetic and acting normal. He's angled in that shot but can you see his swollen abdomen at all?

17. Jequila

JequilaValued MemberMember

He actually doesn't look pineconed to me. The saltbaths are supposed to draw out fluid though, and help with bloating so it still might be worth a shot.

18. jerilovesfrogs

he doesn't look like he's pineconed to me. my boy, finn, got dropsy and pinconed, and turned pale....pretty obvious looking. your boy though, he could just be constipated. you could try fasting for a couple days, then see if he'll eat a thawed, shelled pea.....cut up in tiny pieces. good luck :)

19. OP
    OP
    Treefork

Already tried the pea, he won't touch it. How long can a fish stay constipated without dying he's been like this for three weeks now.

20. jerilovesfrogs

well you said he eats, just not the peas. what is his normal food? how many times do you give it to him in a day? you should try fasting him for a couple days, or 3, to see if there is an improvement with his bloating.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice