Betta has dropsy?

• Thread starter Valpal908
  • Start date

Valpal908

I noticed my betta struggling to swim this morning and he seemed bloated. He eats one or two pellets every other day and his 5g tank has 50% water change biweekly. I checked the water parameters With a test strip and I got maybe a little over 0 for nitrate (not super white but definitely not at 20), nitrite 0, pH 7, GH and KH both 0. I don’t know what could’ve caused this; could his filter be too strong causing him a lot of stress? Does he have dropsy ? I’m not very experienced with this disease as I only experienced fin rot with a betta. Right now I took him out of his tank because every time he swims he flips upside down a lot. I also notice that he has a little piece of white fuzz near his mouth but it’s small so idk if my eyes are messing with me. I have a bad feeling he might not make it. Please help!

Attachments

julifhy

Well Known

Gel0city

Well Known
I agree, it doesn't look like dropsy, could be columnaris or some sort of fungus/bacterial infection. Could you get a picture of where the white spot is? You don't need to get this now but I strongly recommend the API Master Test Kit over test strips. They are more accurate and more cost effective.

Valpal908

Valpal908 said:
I noticed my betta struggling to swim this morning and he seemed bloated. He eats one or two pellets every other day and his 5g tank has 50% water change biweekly. I checked the water parameters With a test strip and I got maybe a little over 0 for nitrate (not super white but definitely not at 20), nitrite 0, pH 7, GH and KH both 0. I don’t know what could’ve caused this; could his filter be too strong causing him a lot of stress? Does he have dropsy ? I’m not very experienced with this disease as I only experienced fin rot with a betta. Right now I took him out of his tank because every time he swims he flips upside down a lot. I also notice that he has a little piece of white fuzz near his mouth but it’s small so idk if my eyes are messing with me. I have a bad feeling he might not make it. Please help!
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 5 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 3 months
Does it have a filter? Yes (tetra internal filter)
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 79F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) betta and ghost shrimp and plants from big tank

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Biweekly
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Stress coat+
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
The substrate
*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API test strip
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: a bit over 0 but not at 20 mark
pH: 7

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once every other day

How much do you feed your fish? One or two pellets and some days I’ll give one dehydrated blood worm instead of pellet.

What brand of food do you feed your fish? Wardley betta food and Aqueon betta treat
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 5 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? One day ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? A bit bloated and every time he tries to swims he gets flipped around and also very small white fuzz near side of mouth
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No but took out of tank and will begin salt treatment
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Reduced his swimming and tries to stay still

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now) noticed it last night when his body was at an angle and he was very still but I thought he was just dormant because the tank light was off but this morning he was in a another place but same position and when I tried making him move he was really struggling to swim. He was definitely okay a few days ago just swimming around waiting for food. Now he seems a bit bloated with scales sticking out a bit and what looks like some tiny white fuzz near his mouth.

Valpal908

Gel0city

Well Known
Could be swim bladder disease + some sort of columnaris or bacteria infection. A picture of where the white fuzz/spot is would be ideal. Feeding seems good, but what is your ammonia? Stress coat + is not a water conditioner... it just enhances the fish's stress coat to fight off diseases. It is very likely that your betta is suffering from chlorine/chloramine poisoning. Get Prime if you can. It is a water conditioner and it binds ammonia, nitrite, nitrate for 24 hours (DOES NOT REMOVE, just makes it a little less toxic so the BB can finish it off).

Valpal908

Gel0city said:
I agree, it doesn't look like dropsy, could be columnaris or some sort of fungus/bacterial infection. Could you get a picture of where the white spot is? You don't need to get this now but I strongly recommend the API Master Test Kit over test strips. They are more accurate and more cost effective.
this the best I can get it’s really faint but honestly it can be my eyes seeing things because when I tried looking on the side I couldn’t see it. But from top the left side of his lip looks fuzzy unlike the right side that is smooth.
F6A919C6-A8C5-4420-8C70-198B2BB34AAE.jpeg06940714-4BA9-4727-861D-06E3EB5B4997.jpegC18F3077-1FF7-4577-ABF7-8FC99AE813E8.jpeg

Gel0city

Well Known
Oh dear your betta does look pretty sick. Suffering from ammonia burns and effects of chlorine in the water most likely... that lowered his immune system and became susceptible toward some kind of disease. It's kind of hard to see in the picture... AquaCaitlin could help. I'm not exactly a professional with bettas. You could add indian almond leaves in the water, and move him/her back to the original tank to avoid stress (but add dechlorinator please!)

Kjeldsen

Well Known
Gel0city said:
Stress coat + is not a water conditioner... it just enhances the fish's stress coat to fight off diseases. It is very likely that your betta is suffering from chlorine/chloramine poisoning. Get Prime if you can. It is a water conditioner and it binds ammonia, nitrite, nitrate for 24 hours (DOES NOT REMOVE, just makes it a little less toxic so the BB can finish it off).
Stress Coat is sodium thiosulfate just like prime or any other dechlor.

Valpal908

Gel0city said:
Could be swim bladder disease + some sort of columnaris or bacteria infection. A picture of where the white fuzz/spot is would be ideal. Feeding seems good, but what is your ammonia? Stress coat + is not a water conditioner... it just enhances the fish's stress coat to fight off diseases. It is very likely that your betta is suffering from chlorine/chloramine poisoning. Get Prime if you can. It is a water conditioner and it binds ammonia, nitrite, nitrate for 24 hours (DOES NOT REMOVE, just makes it a little less toxic so the BB can finish it off).
really!? I used it with my bigger tank for a long time the the fish never had a problem but if it doesn’t work I will start using prime from now on. On the bottle it said it treats tap water so I thought it conditioned. Here’s the best picture I can get but it’s very faint right now but it looks a little fuzzy on his left side of lip than on the right 1E6A3146-65D6-43A1-AA04-87366C1E4572.jpeg
image.jpg

Gel0city

Well Known
Valpal908 said:
really!? I used it with my bigger tank for a long time the the fish never had a problem but if it doesn’t work I will start using prime from now on. On the bottle it said it treats tap water so I thought it conditioned. Here’s the best picture I can get but it’s very faint right now but it looks a little fuzzy on his left side of lip than on the right 1E6A3146-65D6-43A1-AA04-87366C1E4572.jpeg
image.jpg
Sorry, I did not know it treated tap water. I knew that it helped with the fish's slime coat and against diseases. You do not have to get Prime, but most would agree that it is helpful in emergency situations.

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Dropsy isn’t exactly a sickness in itself, but a group of symptoms that are commonly portrayed when something is quite wrong in the aquarium.

From the pineconing I can see it looks like you caught him a little late, and not to be a pessimist but it could be a little bit too late. But that‘s not for sure.

He seems to be experiencing severe ammonia poisoning, from the fin rot and damaged scales.

He is also looking too thin for comfort, possibly underfed. You said you feed every other day with 2-3 pellets or a freeze dried blood worm? He should be eating that amount every day, except maybe with one day of fasting.

Right now I would do 50% water changes daily, get some tannins in that water, and try to keep everything low stress as possible with the aquarium lights off. You will need to start doing salt baths to get his fin rot on the mend eventually, but right now the best thing you can do is keep up with those water changes, keep him warm, and add tannins.

LadfromLondon

Well Known
5 pellets a day, 2-3 Bloodworms when you treat him
50% Water changes to get the parameters stable
A couple Indian Almond Leaves will have a quick impact on his stress and immune system
Keep the light off unless you are feeding and maybe check on him 2/3 times a day

Valpal908

AquaCaitlin said:
Dropsy isn’t exactly a sickness in itself, but a group of symptoms that are commonly portrayed when something is quite wrong in the aquarium.

From the pineconing I can see it looks like you caught him a little late, and not to be a pessimist but it could be a little bit too late. But that‘s not for sure.

He seems to be experiencing severe ammonia poisoning, from the fin rot and damaged scales.

He is also looking too thin for comfort, possibly underfed. You said you feed every other day with 2-3 pellets or a freeze dried blood worm? He should be eating that amount every day, except maybe with one day of fasting.

Right now I would do 50% water changes daily, get some tannins in that water, and try to keep everything low stress as possible with the aquarium lights off. You will need to start doing salt baths to get his fin rot on the mend eventually, but right now the best thing you can do is keep up with those water changes, keep him warm, and add tannins.
How would I go about in adding tannins? Where can I get it from.

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Valpal908 said:
How would I go about in adding tannins? Where can I get it from.
If you know where you can get some dried oak leaves you can throw them in a pot and boil them in water until they turn the water a brown tea-like color. You than wait for that to cool and add it.

Tannins are what is released from the Indian almond leaves as well, so adding one of those will also add tannins to your water.

julifhy

Well Known
AquaCaitlin said:

Could he be pineconing from columnaris? From what I can tell, that’s what it looks like he might have.

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
julifhy said:
Could he be pineconing from columnaris? From what I can tell, that’s what it looks like he might have.
Yes the pineconing could be coming from that as well. Imo he has a whole lot of different issues and sickness going on at once here.
If it was me I would euthanize, but I don’t usually like suggesting that if something can be done.
It really matters how much work you’re willing to put into this. Columnaris is hard to cure fully, as is dropsy. Fin rot takes time and so does ammonia burns.

AvalancheDave

Well Known
I don't think chlorine/chloramine is an issue.

It looks like a bacterial infection to me, the most common cause of dropsy.

Probably still treatable if you go to a vet or have certain "human" antibiotics laying around.

julifhy

Well Known
I don't have much experience with medications, but the ones that I found could possibly help are: API E.M., API Triple Sulfa, and Kanaplex. Another thing you could try is Hydrogen Peroxide. It can help with the columnaris and fin rot, but it's hard to use, from what I understand. I also agree with AvalancheDave, if you have the possibility a vet could help.

FishGirl115

Well Known
Test for ammonia too

Valpal908

AquaCaitlin said:

Valpal908

AquaCaitlin said:

He didn’t make it through the night so it was too late but I still tested his tank water and the only thing weird is pH. can being too basic be a problem, alkaline burn?. I can’t tell where it lands.
89C69309-0940-4B4B-9397-7D2AD2D3890E.jpeg
1C1AD83A-9C96-47EB-8F02-7F252E0252E3.jpeg

D2053270-2865-462E-B86C-A26389A1AF95.jpeg
EB2CDC1B-5F12-4CE4-B94F-4151F53D7806.jpeg
D5CEDFB9-FC05-40F5-BA0B-B246FB2D1E84.jpeg

Attachments

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Valpal908 said:
He didn’t make it through the night so it was too late but I still tested his tank water and the only thing weird is pH. can being too basic be a problem, alkaline burn?. I can’t tell where it lands.
89C69309-0940-4B4B-9397-7D2AD2D3890E.jpeg
1C1AD83A-9C96-47EB-8F02-7F252E0252E3.jpeg

D2053270-2865-462E-B86C-A26389A1AF95.jpeg
EB2CDC1B-5F12-4CE4-B94F-4151F53D7806.jpeg
D5CEDFB9-FC05-40F5-BA0B-B246FB2D1E84.jpeg
Swim in peace little guy :(
I sometimes get weird pH readings as well. Looks to be around 7.6?

Top Bottom