Betta Has Dropsy..unsure How To Deal With This

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by underthetank, Aug 7, 2019.

1. underthetank

underthetankValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +24
    So long story short, my Bettas name is Bluzy even though he is mostly red. I love this guy. He’s been a little lethargic over the past two days but when I came home today he almost buried himself in the rocks. I immediatly panic and slowly moved his tank closer to the sink (he lives in the kitchen) to examine him closer and he started moving...he was swimming and I looked from above and he is scales are pineconing..so I know it’s dropsy. I know there is nothing to cure it but how to I comfort my little guy? He seems to want to eat so I fed him a little. Since he’s been just swimming around very little he goes back and forth from the bottom to the top occasionally. I just don’t know how much longer he has and it’s breaking me to pieces.

Any advise, even if there isn’t much to do would be greatly appreciated. I’ve never experienced dropsy in a fish before

2. OP
    OP
    underthetank

underthetankValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +24
    This is Bluzy as of right now. If you zoom in you can see his scales pineconing out :/ 93AC2BB5-C43B-442C-ACAB-D47862B0AC0B.82F30DEF-2BBB-4440-A7E8-9CA5433754CB.

3. Repolie

RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,137
    Experience:
    4 years
    It is possible to cure dropsy, but it's very rare that it happens. Dropsy has various underlying causes, the most common being caused by an internal bacterial infection.

Treatment is done with with Kanaplex which is the most effective medication because it's easily absorbed through the skin and gills. Doing Epsom salt baths alongside the medication (1TBSP/Gallon for 10-15 minutes) in a separate contain can relieve some fluid retention.