Betta Has Developed One Cloudy Eye?

1. Kesh88

Kesh88 Valued Member Member

My poor Frost seems to have developed a cloudiness over his right eye. He seems otherwise healthy, active and eats well and I think he can still see out of it (just). I had a quick Google and came up with several results like genetics, popeye and injury. I don't think it's popeye or an injury, unless he somehow hit it on the mostly smooth driftwood in his tank. Is this something I should be worried about?

I've had him for about a year, he's in a 38L tank that has been running for 3 years with a heater, 2 sponge filters, live plants and some driftwood. His only tank mates are red cherry shrimp and some pest snails. I change 30-40% of the water once a week and use Seachem Prime.

Here's some pics of his eyes:
    . 9db0970e629e910144c86c3fbcc203df.jpg d1c49d1d45dcc2a0f47f20a5b0ecd9ba.jpg bed1fccbb0e9f6f8b966557c959795c3.jpg

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

I'd try doing daily water changes maybe 2 gallons (7.5 liters) and see how that goes. Some people use antibiotics.

3. OP
    OP
    Kesh88

Kesh88 Valued Member Member

Could I ask why you are recommending daily water changes? What do you think could be causing the cloudiness?

4. Ken Ooi

Ken Ooi Valued Member Member

Fish don't get cataracts? My parrot has one developed and the funny thing is it almost always on the right eye! Your fish has cloudiness on the right eye. Did you have a water change regime in place? It looks like an infection. Talk to your local fish stockist if there's one you could use. Blue Planet brand of fish medications see if they have to treat eye infections

5. KimberlyG

Daily fresh water changes have been very successful in case of cloudy eye.

6. KimberlyG

I'm sorry I did not answer your entire question. Cloudy eye is a symptom of something else and it can be caused by many things. Bad water parameters, low pH, vitamin deficiency, stress. It is hard to treat unless you know what caused it. In early stages plain aquarium salt is helpful.

7. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with @KimberlyG. I had a fish with cloudy eye and I moved it into a QT with fresh water and it cleared it up.

Sometimes you start with the water change first before doing meds.