Betta Has Black Gills And Slight Inflammation?

1. r

ravenwing New Member Member

I got a betta just over a week ago and he's wonderful and seems healthy. His fins are in great shape, etc. The only thing is his gills are black and I've just noticed a slight red area on each of his gills. Is this a sign of sickness or is it normal?
    Tank Conditions: 3 gallon, old heater wasn't working so he went 4-5 days without a heater (now 78 degrees). I don't have anything to test pH but I change half the water once a week and did a 90% water change today. I feed him bloodworms and flakes. I'm not sure is he's glass surfing or itching his gills.
    Also, are the brown spots on the top of his head normal or a symptom of sickness? I just want Captain America to be healthy and happy. IMG_1654.JPG IMG_1655.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

His beard is black. Also, the red around them are ammonia burns. Is the tank cycled? Does he have a filter?

3. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Hi there. Welcome to Fishlore! Your betta is absolutely beautiful!

The black on his gills looks like his normal coloring. They will change once they are in your care. He will probably continue to change colors. Looks like he could be a koi. So don't be surprised if you see all sorts of colors.

The redness however, isn't normal. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? His red gills are an indicator of ammonia poisoning. Which means you needed a large water change. Which you did. You will need to get your tank fully cycled to keep your guy healthy. If you need help with this, I can help. Just let me know.

Until then you need to do a 50% water change every other day or a 25-30% water change everyday. This will keep the Ammonia level down.

The glass surfing could be flashing, which could be from the ammonia. But it could also indicate gill flukes. I think it is ammonia though. So you should do the water changes at least for a few days and re-evaluate him.

4. OP
    OP
    r

Thanks for the quick replies! Tank is currently unfiltered so I bought an ammonia test kit and will change the water often and look for change. The redness only showed up earlier today so I'm hoping for a quick recovery. I think it must have been due to uneaten food, not sure how much to feed as this my second ever fish.

5. Katie13

He wouldn't be classified as Koi. He would be a marble.

6. AllieSten

Ohhhh if there is no filter, then you need to do a 50% water change everyday. Until you get a filter. Gotta keep the ammonia down. Even trace amounts can be harmful.

For bettas I feed twice a day. Just a couple of flakes twice daily is plenty. Then give soaked blood worms once or twice per week for a treat. Just give 2-3 of the blood worms at most.

7. AllieSten

Ohhhh you are right. I had marble in my mind and typed koi. Doh!

8. Katie13

The red from ammonia comes from fish waste that isn't being filtered out like it should.

9. OP
    OP
    r

Any type of reliable/affordable filter brand you can recommend? (Thanks for the help!)

10. AllieSten

For your small tank, a Tetra Whisper 10 is a good one. I had no issues with mine. It comes with a filter cartridge. Those aren't the best so I would search YouTube for some filter media suggestions. They are pretty small so a small sponge and some ceramic rings would be plenty for it. The cartridges are expensive and will not last very long. The sponge and ceramic rings last forever. Highly recommend it.

11. Katie13

You typically want a filter (HOB) that runs 8-10 times the size of the tank (24-30gph or more). With canisters, 5 times the tank size (15) will suffice.

12. Katie13

Tetra also makes a 3i with a flow rate of 20gph.

13. AllieSten

The 3i needs and airpump. So you would have to purchase that also. Along with airline tubing.

14. Katie13

It is should come with the air pump and tubing.

15. AllieSten

You know it might. I got mine in a kit. So I don't remember now if it came with it or not. That would be perfect if it does.

Another suggestion, is a sponge filter. You can get them for cheap on Amazon. They will need a pump and tubing, but no filter media needed. Bettas tend to prefer sponge filters actually. I have sponges in my betta tanks. Totally happy with them.

If you scroll to the middle where it says buy all 3, it is around $12 for the whole set up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LMQCW2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_4mLHzb39PBEBP

16. Katie13

Spong filters can also make an easy DIY.